WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN: A Supposed Love Story (Part I)

It was my brother's wedding, and I had no choice but to go. My brother, a physical therapist based in the US, is finally marrying his girlfriend of 10 years whom he met in the States. Eli is probably the best thing that has ever happened to my brother, and we are happy that she came to his life. When John, my brother, told us that they are finally tying the knot, we were ecstatic. However, there was a catch. The wedding has to take place in Eli's hometown in Vigan.

Being the ever dependable sister, John made me in charge of the wedding preparations. I had to oversee the printing and distribution of the wedding invitations, the acquisition of wedding souvenirs, and the making of the gowns and barongs for the secondary sponsors. In addition to that, I also have to coordinate with Eli's younger sister Dina for the church, wedding reception, and the program. Since we lived in different regions, Dina and I have to communicate online and through our mobile phones in order to be able to piece things together.

Two weeks before John and Eli's wedding, I had to fly to Vigan to finalize everything. Dina and I have gotten close. Therefore, I was expecting that she would be the one to pick me up at the airport. Unfortunately, when the plane landed, Dina called me to inform me that she will not make it and instead she asked her older brother to pick me up. Dina, I know, but her brother, I don't even have an idea how he looks like.

I was standing outside the arrival area when my mobile phone rang. It was an unknown number.

"Hello" I said.

"Hi", said the husky voice from the other line. "I am Nathan, Dina and Eli's older brother. Dina asked me to pick you up."

"Oh....hi! I am sorry. I was expecting Dina. Anyway, I am outside the arrival lounge. I am wearing denim shorts, sneakers, yellow blazer, and black tank top." I gave him as much detail as possible so that it will be easier for him to spot me.

"Ok, I see you." He said "I am driving a black Toyota Fortuner."

I scanned the area and saw his SUV with him waving at me. I hung up the phone and moved towards him. I brought a lot of things because 2 weeks is a long time for me and I have to come prepared. He parked the car, went down, and helped my load my luggage at the back of his SUV. He opened the front car door and helped me climbed in. What a gentleman, I thought.

"Sorry a stranger had to pick you up. It is the typical Dina, always forgetting appointments." He said trying to break the awkward silence.

"Oh that is okay. I understand. She is busy too, with the wedding and all." I answered.

"You bet. John and Eli did dump a huge responsibility on the two of you." He remarked with a smirk.

For the first time, I am at a loss for words. I am not the type of girl who shies away from men. I grew up with John and his frat friends, most of whom are really good looking. So yes, men do not make me nervous. However, this is different. There is something about Nathan that makes me nervous, makes my heart skip a beat, and makes my hands sweat.

He is not the first good-looking guy I have met, but his aura is unnerving.

"Hey, I did not catch your name."

"Oh, it is Jessica."

"It is nice to meet you Jessica." He said extending his hand while keeping his eyes on the road.

"It is nice to meet you too Nathan." I said shaking his hand and praying that he will not notice that my hand is not only wet but also it is cold as well.

After that, we drove in silence. A few minutes later, we arrived at their subdivision. He honked and someone opened the gate let us in. It was dark, but I know the house is big and the landscaping is excellent. He parked the car in the garage. He opened the door for me and told someone to bring the luggage upstairs to the guest room.