One

This was actually written for English class, which was to write a story about an idiom and I chose the "Jack of all trades master  of none, though oftentimes better than master of one." and I kinda liked it so I decided to publish it. 

-

"Once upon a time my dear brother, we were born into this world called reality. Our world is a game of cards, you're the king and I'm the queen and we all got this position because of some stupid war. Once upon a time, you ruled. I too ruled the kingdom, but if we were to find our differences, let us just say that I know how to live."

The sun was cast upon a nameless kingdom. The busy streets were filled with people shouting sales and running back and forth. In the midst of the crowd, a woman was trying to push her way through.

"Respect, I swear!" She huffed in annoyance, her deep purple gown laced with golden ribbons- which she considered a bother, indicated her as the queen of this unusual kingdom. Quickly walking out of the mess, she didn't notice the small boy and bumped into him.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" The small boy with a mass of dark brown hair quickly apologized, not bothering to look up at the floor.

The woman couldn't help but smile at his cuteness. "It's okay." She said putting a hand on his shoulder.

After a moment of recovery, the boy finally looked up at the woman, eyes wide. "You're the sister of the king aren't you?"

The said sister tried to hide her disappointment, covering it with another smile. "Yes, yes I am. Now if you'll excuse me, I best be off." She gave a small bow.

The queen walked to the entrance of the castle. It was quite an extravagant one, with towers that reached the heavens, tinted windows, and cream lined with a deep blue. She then signalled the guards to open the gates.

As she walked in, she headed straight to the kitchen in which she had heard the voices of Ivan her brother and a servant. She peeked through the open door and saw that the servant looked quite pissed. "What's going on?"

Ivan sighs and looks to the servant. "Leave this to me." He says in a hushed voice. After the servant takes his leave, the older brother turns back to his sister. "I was only trying to cook but then I made a big mess."

Natalya looked amused. "My, my, you never learn." She laughed, walking towards him making Ivan step backward until he felt the cold marble of the counter.

Natalya then turned her back and swiftly cracked an egg on the frying pan making it sizzle. "Easy." She says with a smirk.

Ivan was astonished at Natalya's sudden attitude. "I don't understand, I've gained the title as the best ruler history's ever known, but I can't do anything but that!"

"You really think you can be the best when you haven't finished your reign?" She turned the stove off. "How do you think I feel then, only known as your sister?"

"At least you know how to live, you'd survive." For the first time since birth, the constant jealousy between each other had never worn out yet it sort of remained untouched. Now, they'd never thought they would have to deal with it face to face with each other.

The room was silent until a clink of metal was heard.

"What's that?"

"A knife." She replies simply. "One stab with this and even the greatest surgeon can't heal you. So in other terms, it means pure death." Natalya then tightens her grip on the knife's circular handle and walks closer.

"Once upon a time my dear brother, we were so close. Then, you left me and ruled the kingdom you and I were supposed to share. I gave you respect and barely laid a single finger on it. Don't you remember? Our life is a game of cards, I'm the jack of all trades master of none, but I can survive. It's much better than you, a master of one. Your biggest mistake is leaving me, but I learned anyway, I have more use than you in this world." The knife touched Ivan's pale skin.

"Loneliness is a cruel thing, my dear brother."

End