Chapter 2

Lâm put a dozen of textbooks and notebooks into his backpack as Nam was hanging on the stairs watching. The boy was now in high school uniform - simple white shirt and blue pants, which were not smooth but totally neat.

"Can I come to school with you?"

"Why?", Lâm snatched a bottle of water from the kitchen and shoved it in the bag.

"I miss schools."

"You can go to any school, can't you?"

"Yeah, but I haven't gone to one since my nephew quit school last year."

"Oh."

Nam sighed loudly. Lâm carried his heavy backpack to his bike, ready to take off.

"All right. Just don't talk to me."

"Okay."

The school yard before class was full of students excitedly chatting, laughing and having breakfast. Lâm sat alone on a stone bench, gazing lifelessly in the space in front of him. Those who failed to acquire seats were standing beneath the big Malabar almond trees across the school yard. Nobody looked at or went near Lâm.

"Are you some kind of delinquent?", Nam sat down next to Lâm.

"Didn't I tell you not to talk to me? And no, I'm not a delinquent."

Nam shrugged. More students were walking into the yard from the parking lot whilst teachers were coming in through the front gate and turning to the area reserved for school staff. Nam noticed a fat tabby cat leisurely strolling near the guards' booth. A long-haired girl in a pure white ao dai approached and began to pet it.

"Hey."

Lâm's right shoulder was pushed ahead so violently that he almost fell off the bench. He looked back, not seeming surprised at all.

"Don't do that again, you bastard.", he grumbled.

The newcomer was a tall, skinny and good-looking boy with wavy dark brown hair. He was grinning at the surly one, pressing a sandwich in his palm. Nam moved away from the bench, staring at the rude yet friendly boy.

"Were you up late again?", Lâm watched the boy throw his dark green bag on the bench and sit down beside him.

"I beat Gerald125."

A smirk instantly had itself seen on the boy's bright face. He folded his arms in front of his chest and crossed his legs, completing his boss-like look.

"I'm now top of the server.", he continued.

"So you do have a friend. A game addict.", Nam remarked.

Lâm took a bite of the sandwich his friend got for him, ignoring Nam utterly. The spirit sulked a little but got over it right away.

"Staying up like that... What about the match this afternoon?"

"I'll do just fine."

As soon as he settled himself down on Lâm's left side in their classroom, the boy decided to take a nap. Their table belonged to the last row, next to the window through which Nam was observing them. Except for Lâm's friend, the entire class were gazing forward, listening to the lesson and taking notes.

"An, wake up. The teacher's glanced at you a few times already.", Lâm nudged the right arm of the boy, who did not budge. Lâm nudged him again with stronger force, which was proven to be no more effective. The sleepyhead kept on indulging in his rest, Nam could even hear him snoring lowly. Lâm looked the other way, so did the teacher eventually.