Chapter 6

A new spirit had been patiently waiting at Lâm's door since dawn. It was a pretty girl in her early twenties with short brown hair and fair pale skin. Her orange checked shirt and tight black jeans were partly burnt. It was easy to tell that she was one of those vengeful spirits that Lâm had been welcoming, for gloominess was apparent on her face, or in her entire being precisely, and rage was burning in her eyes. Lâm, who was about to go to school, gave her the signal to come inside. He put his right hand above her head and closed his eyes.

Smoke. Everywhere. It was almost impossible to breathe, let alone see anything. The girl was reaching out her arms, making her way through a mess of racks and clothes and mannequins whilst coughing hoarsely. The fire was spreading uncontrollably not far on her left side. She opened her mouth to exclaim something but ended up coughing more. Holding onto a pole, she covered her nose with a hand as an effort to not inhale too much smoke. She jumped as her right foot was touched by someone. The person was stuck under the counter, which must have fallen onto him or her. The smoke did not allow the girl to see his or her face, she just tried her best to remove the counter so that the person could escape. Both of them pushed the object with all their might and succeeded after five attempts. The person got up and said something, probably a thanks, then ran outside. The girl stayed behind and continued to look around.

At last, she found what, or rather, who she was searching for in this fire. The person was lying on the ground near the elevator, unconscious. The girl kneeled down and called his or her name, but the sound coming out of her mouth did not make up any word. She then grabbed the person's ankles and tried to drag him or her all the way to the exit, although she could not even tell which direction it was. Her coughing got worse and worse, she staggered and collapsed but rapidly stood up and kept on moving the person. When they passed the counter earlier, she broke down and failed to get up again. Right at that moment, the person regained his or her senses and instantly ran away. The girl used the very final bit of energy left in her to scream for help, but that person did not stop.

Lâm opened his eyes and withdrew his hand. The spirit was gazing aimlessly ahead, looking no different from a colorful statue.

"I'd been outside, nearby. I went in to save my cousin, who worked part-time there."

The girl's eyes darkened with pent up hatred. Her whole body, regardless of being in the intangible form of spirits, was strained as she recalled for the umpteenth time the reason why her life had ended. She clenched her small fists and bowed to the cold-looking boy before her.

"Please help me have my revenge."

The corners of Lâm's lips curled up into a heartless smirk, and Nam caught a glimpse of a malicious glint in his eyes.

"Starting tonight, you'll be in that lowlife's dreams every night till you feel enough. By then, if you see anyone like you, bring them to me."

"Thank you."

Prior to taking her leave, the spirit exchanged glances with Nam, giving him shivers down his spine.