Day 1

Crap.

Well, I guess schooling isn't an option now. My dead great grandmother's knocking on the front door, my family gone. I check my phone.

7:43. The stove read 3:00. Grandfather clock read 12:34. I presumed the grandfather clock was correct, since ours doesn't rely on electricity.

I open up the group chat on my phone.

Are you there? Meet at the school, if you're alive.

A new text comes in.

Don't. Find Alex and he'll lead you to the bunker. I've given him your current coordinates. Also, as far as we know, we're the last ones. Quinn.

That was a relief. There were still people alive. Even better, two of my friends. At least I had something to look forward to.

Anyway, I needed to scavenge through my house, and gather supplies.

I unlocked my dad's gun safe and looked inside. It was empty, except for an M9 pistol (Dad's favorite), and a rifle. Most likely it was his seven millimeter.

There was also a pack in there as well, with a chock-full med-pack, small sleeping bag, hatchet, knife, ammunition, two large bottles of water, four cans of soup, bug spray, a working radio, a map, and a pair of glasses. A note was taped onto the front, with my dad's sloppy handwriting.

"If you're reading this, then you aren't dead. Your mother was the first in our family to turn. She bit your younger brother, before I smashed her head in. I had to kill Ben as well. Sierra and Connor weren't home when this whole thing happened. God bless their okay. " There was a footnote in cursive, written very small and neat.

"If you're reading this, Tyler, I have perished by my own hands. I don't have the heart to continue killing these things. "

My eyes watered for a second, but I was forced to push my emotions away as a window shattered, and I heard a thud. I grabbed the nearest item, mt dad's electric guitar, and braced to slam whatever had come in.

When I first saw the hand reach in, I swung. I could barely stop it.

"That grandmother of yours is really something." Alex had found me, before I even set out to find him.