Chapter 2: Full Moon

Having been born during the Lunar Eclipse of 2010, I always wondered if it had some sort of connection to my eyes. Aside from their weird coloration, I could also see well in the dark, but I never thought much of it and kept that fact to myself. On 12/19/22, I turned 12. It was a ‘normal’ day in my life, if I ever had any of those. Typical, rather. My life was anything BUT normal, of course.

   Until I looked out the window. See, I was always mesmerized by the moon. Perhaps having been born on a full moon was not interesting to me then, aside from the lunar eclipse being on the night of my birth as well. But that did have an effect on me, and more so than I ever suspected.

   So there I was, staring out the window, showered in the pure, white, radiance of the glorious moon. It wasn’t often that the sky was clear enough to see that huge white orb. I felt especially good. Not really happy, but good. It was somehow compelling, looking at the moon.

   Then, I heard something. Just the slightest noise, barely detectable, but it was there. I was sure of it. It was the wisp of the wind, but not quite. Sitting on the ledge of my window, I kept staring out. The large arched window was slightly open. Its large crossbars kept the world from me but the wind crept into my room. It ran its playful fingers through my short hair. If felt wonderful- this was no ordinary breeze.

   It was almost intoxicating; I couldn’t get enough of the wonderful feeling. My vision blurred, and everything got very quiet and dark. But it wasn’t uncomfortable. I could be fine, just like this… Floating in nothingness… Part of the nothingness… I remember briefly floating up to the ceiling and seeing my own body falling down to the floor… down to the darkness… And then there was nothing. I was nothing. I didn’t simply didn’t exist. I was gone.