Chapter 3: Awakening

Hi hi. :) I hope you guys like it. Oh, and I need a cover so if anybody would like to help with that please feel free to speak to me about. By the way, I dedicated this chapter to bebe, her being my first reader. Thank you for the support. :)

______________________________________________________________________

My eyes fluttered open; my vision still blurred. I was in a fairly large, white, room with only one window to let in light. Daytime. The sunlight shone into the room. Just like happy eyes penetrated my heart, the light penetrated the darkness. My senses finally reached me, as if I had been in a different universe until now. Beside myself to the right, I could hear a steady beeping. I realized I was on a bed.

   Suddenly, the door opened as a relatively elderly man in a white lab coat entered the room. I took him to be a doctor, my surrounding being what they were. And I was right. I was in the detested place in which I was kept until I was 1. A hospital.

   “Awake, are we?” the man asked.

   Impulsively, I nodded. “Why am I here?” I demanded, immediately regretting my rude tone. The man did seem nice, after all.

   “You were out cold for several hours now- you fainted last night. What do you remember?”

   “Wait, so my birthday was yesterday?”

   “Correct. I assume you don’t remember your name either, mm, Ms. Alice?” He said, chuckling.

   I rolled my eyes. “What happened?”

   “You fell and hit your head against the floor, and rather hard at that. No internal bleeding, luckily, but there was quite some damage.” He said, nodding towards the I.V. bag hooked up to my arm that I only now noticed.

   “Your mother will want to see you.” He opened the door, revealing my mother’s tear streaked face.

   She ran in, smiling through the tears.

   “I’ll leave you two alone. The nurse will be here soon to give her something to sleep; she needs rest.” He said to my mother.

   “Oh, honey, you’re OK! I was worried sick! What hurts?”

   “Mom, I’m fine. My head hurts, though.”

   “Oh. Well, you get you get your rest.” She said with an unconvincing weak smile that so often appeared on her face in the recent years. She pressed a button to signal the nurse.

   After a few uncomfortable minutes of silence, the door swung open yet again- this time a nurse came in and put some more liquid into the I.V. bag. The effect was almost immediate. I felt my eyelids drooping. My mom exited the room and somewhere in the distance, I heard the doctor’s voice.

“…brain damage…”