2. Now I know

"Are we friends?" asked Adele

"Aren't we?" replied Ralph, asking another question.

These were the last words for a while. The two teenagers were sitting on a bench, in the middle of the town, not very close on to the other. They decided to meet, and they did meet, but they don't know the reason yet. It's much past midnight, and they seem like they don't care about time. Ralph's face can tell that he might be waiting for something specific, while Adele looks pretty bored. The city uses to be very crowded, even during the night. There are a lot of cars on the streets, which make the town be very noisy for this particular late time in night.

Suddenly, Ralph stood up.

"Wait a minute. I'll be right back", he said; then he got lost among the buildings.

Adele didn't say anything. She just followed him with her eyes until she couldn't see him anymore. Some seconds later she felt a hand on her shoulder, and a low voice telling her:

"I'm back. And I hope we don't stay here for much longer. We're already here for hours and didn't talk about anything. It's just a waste of time. Maybe we can talk another time."

Adele turned her head around. She couldn't recognize the boy. But she was not amazed, and replied calmly:

"You told me that you want to meet me. So you say what you have to say. You're not Ralph, are you?"

The boy caressed her hair with passion, and then held his palm on her cheek for some seconds.

"I admire you so much. Everything you have inside you is so special. Wish I was like you!"

A low glow from the street lamp was lighting Adele's face. As she heard the guy's words she slowly closed her eyes, and then whispered:

"You're killing me. If that's what you wanted, you've reached your goal, because I'm dying."

"No, you're not dying. You just seem to. Unfortunately, you have a long way to go. You're never dying."

After these words, the guy slowly took his hands off Adele and disappeared. She was still eyes closed. Then a high horn had awoken her. Two cars almost crashed, inches from each other. The traffic was now terrifying, seems like the driver of one of the cars, in the desperate attempt to avoid the crush, got on the sidewalk and hit an old man. The victim was leaning against a trash can, holding his stomach with both arms. The image was terrible. In the agony of the pain, the old man just said, with his last words:

"Everything is all right. It's not anyone's fault, it's my fault. I should have been more careful. Anyway, I'm going to be happy from now on. Don't worry!"

Three police cars and an ambulance arrived in a couple minutes. The dark night now became more crowded. It was just a usual night, with common happenings. Somewhere, on a high building, a young guy had been watching the whole scene. It was Ralph. For him, the night was as silent as possible, as everything is quieter when you watch it from distance, without being involved. He used to be involved too, but now he became sick of everything that these nights can offer. It used to be fun before, but not anymore.

Adele was down, trying desperately to help the old man, which was dying, but was soon given away by the doctors, tears flowing on her smooth cheeks.

Slowly, Ralph, turned around, and walked away on the building, whispering for himself:

"Now I know. For sure, I should live."