Chapter Twenty

"We should go to the park." Scott looks up from his plate, frowning confusedly. "Where the h*ll did that come from?" he asks, chuckling weakly. His handsome face is still tear-stained, his eyes are still filled with a familiar sadness, but he still looks perfect to me.

"I just thought that since we both need to get out of the house, why not do it together?"

"What makes you think I need to get out of the house?"

"Scott, please."

He laughs. "Fine. Only for you, Christine." I clap with glee, rushing over to him. I knock into the table in my haste, causing my hip to flare with pain. I wince, holding it as it throbs. Scott laughs softly, getting up and wrapping his arms around me. "You okay?" he asks, the smirk clear in his voice. "Y- yeah," I stutter, gingerly removing my hand and standing up straight. Scott chuckles again, gently kissing my neck. "We should-" I squeak, cutting myself off and clearing my throat. "We should get dressed. I can't go out looking like this."

"You look perfect."

"No, I don't. Come on, Hoying."

Scott sighs with a smile playing on his lips, but he nods and follows me up the stairs. I throw him some clothes to wear and throw on my own outfit. I glance in the mirror one last time before I go, but something catches my eye.

It's me.

How ugly I am. How thin I am. How broken I am.

I breathe in sharply, tears pricking the corners of my eyes. I blink them back and tear my eyes away from my reflection.

"Ready?" I ask, forcing a smile. Scott smiles back, holding out his hand. I grab it and we walk out the door.

+++

Scott and I walk in the park, holding hands and talking about nothing. "Hey, Mitchie?" he says, his eyes focused on something farther away. "Yeah, Scottie?"

"Would you like some ice cream?"

I follow his eyes and spot an ice cream stand. There's a crowd of children surrounding it, all holding money in their little fists. Their parents stand off to the side, talking quietly together while they wait for their children to return with their creamy goodness. "Ice cream?" I say, frowning. "It's been a while since I've had ice cream." Scott grins at me, tugging on my hand. "Then we have to get you some. Come on."

Scott pulls me towards the ice cream stand, ignoring my protests. "Scott, you don't have to spend money on me. Please, Scott, I don't need ice cream. I'm too fat already, I-"

"Mitch. You're not fat. Now shut up and let me buy you ice cream."

"But-"

"Mitch."

"Scott."

"I'm going to buy you ice cream whether you want it or not."

I sigh, blinking back the tears that have formed in my eyes but obediently following Scott to the stand. "One vanilla ice cream, please," Scott says, smiling at the ice cream person. They return it, typing his order into the computer. "That'll be$1.50. Thank you for your purchase." Scott nods, handing the person the money. I stand to the side, watching what's happening with sad eyes.

Suddenly, I feel a hand clamp over my mouth. "Fancy seeing you here, Mitchie," a familiar voice snarls in my ear, and I frantically scan the crowd. No one is looking at me, and Scott is still dealing with the transaction. I sigh inwardly as I feel Gordon drag me away.

Gordon throws me to the ground, staring down at me with hatred in his eyes. "Where's Prince Charming?" he sneers. I keep silent, averting my eyes. The first punch comes to my stomach, and I start coughing again. "Why are you still with him? I told you no one wants someone who's as fat and ugly as you," Gordon says, emphasizing his point with a kick to the stomach. I know. I take the hits without a sound. Not a scream, not a whimper of pain, not a sob. Nothing. Gordon must notice my silence because he snarls, "Why aren't you whimpering like the pathetic thing you are?" I don't say a word, letting Gordon hit me like a punching bag.

"Mitch?" I hear a familiar voice in the distance call. I see panic briefly flash in Gordon's eyes, but I wonder if I'm seeing things, because it disappears as quickly as it comes. Gordon stops hitting me and wraps his arms around me from behind, clamping his hand on my mouth. "Not a sound," he growls in my ear. It's not like I was going to make one anyway. I feel tears in my eyes, but again, I blink them back. The voice continues to call out to me, and I think I hear a slight waver as though they're going to cry. My heart aches to call out to him, to let him know I didn't leave him and that I love him, but Gordon won't let me.

Eventually, the continuous rustling dies down, and the voice gets more distant. I sigh inwardly again, all hope lost. Gordon pins me against a tree, smirking. "Looks like your Prince Charming didn't come to save you." He reaches his hand up and slaps me. "You don't deserve him." I ignore the stinging in my cheek as Gordon drops me, crumpling on the floor like a pathetic rag doll.

"What did I say?"

A voice causes Gordon to freeze. There, standing behind him, is none other than Scott Hoying himself. His arms are crossed across his chest and his eyes are burning with anger. "I thought I told you to never hurt my Mitchie again," he snarls. Gordon composes himself, hiding his fear. "He didn't need the ice cream anyway," he sneers, and I flinch.

"Mitch isn't fat."

"He's a f*g."

"Shut the h*ll up."

"What if I don't? What are you gonna do about it, Blondie?"

Scott charges Gordon, and Gordon panics, quickly yanking me up and using me as a human shield. Scott sees this and hastily stops, not wanting to hit me. Gordon smirks at this, his grip on my arms tightening. I wince at the pain of his nails digging into my skin, but still, not a sound escapes my lips. "Let go of him." Scott clenches his fists, but doesn't move as he snarls those words. "Oh but Scottie, why would I do that when Mitch admitted his love for me just earlier?" Gordon says cockily. Don't listen to him, Scott. You know I wouldn't do that to you.

Scott just raises his eyebrows. "Uh huh," he says skeptically, "I'll believe that when pigs fly." Scott acts calm and collected on the outside, but I can practically see the gears in his head turning as he tries to work put a way to get me away from Gordon.

"Then why would he let me kiss him?"

Gordon turns me around so I'm facing him. My eyes widen as he roughly forces his lips onto mine. I push him weakly, not being strong enough to get him off.

Suddenly, Gordon is ripped off of me. I gasp for air as soon as he's off, coughing. I open my eyes from the fit of coughs to see a very terrified-looking Gordon being held against a tree by a very angry-looking Scott. "Don't you ever touch Mitch. Ever. If you so much as look at him, I will hurt you. But because I'm a nice person, unlike you, I'm going to let you off with a warning. You hurt Mitch, I hurt you."

With that, Scott lets Gordon crash to the ground as he rushes to my side. "Are you okay?" he asks, holding his hand out for me to grab. I take it, brushing myself off. "I'm fine, Scott. Thanks," I lie. Scott searches my face concernedly for a few seconds. "You sure?" he asks uncertainly. I nod, grabbing his hand and pulling him away. "I'm fine, Scott. Let's go."

As I pull him away, I sense Gordon's eyes on me, and the lump in my throat grows larger. I stubbornly swallow it.

No more tears.