Chapter Nineteen

Levi

As I saddle up my horse and check my gear, Hanji runs up to me obnoxiously calling my name. "Levi!!"

"Tch, what do you want, four-eyes?"

"Help me catch another Titan," Their eyes twinkle like a little kid asking their mom for sweets but I don't return the enthusiasm.

"No," I mount my horse, and Hanji whines.

"It's for research though!!"

"You already have one. We're moving out now so get on going before we leave you behind," I coldly say and Hanji rushes on over to their horse, sulking in despair.

"Soldiers, move out," Erwin instructs and everyone follows behind.

As we pass through town, the townspeople clear a path for us to get by in an orderly fashion. Murmurs throughout the crowd rising in volume can be heard as they express their doubts about the mission.

"Tch, how annoying," I mutter to myself.

"They are, aren't they?" Hanji comments while pulling up next to me, waiting for the gate to open.

I scan the crowd and some stop their whispers in fear of what I could say. My eyes stop wandering as they meet a girl's violet eyes. My breath hitches and my eyes widen. The girl from far away stares back at me with a confused expression, raising a brow. 

"R... Rose...?" I stammer. My mind blocks out the crowd's noise and the panging of my heartbeat echoes in my ears.

"Did you just say Rose?" Hanji's voice cuts through the silence that was in my head.

"She's... She's over there," Unawaringly, I let go of the reins about to unmount my horse when the tolling of bells brings me back. We ride forward out of the gates, but I look back to where she stands, feeling beads of sweat form on my forehead. "Rose is there... She-"

"Levi, focus on the mission. Rose disappeared three years ago, you have to move on," Hanji states and rides further ahead.

"That was her for sure, I just know it. I'm not imagining that she was there. If she was there, that means she didn't die... "