xiv. let the battle commence

Silence hung over the woods.

It wasn't a desired silence however, it was one that was lingering and shot a current of nerves down Haven's spine. She kept her daggers in both hands, gripping on to them like her life depended on it - which it kind of did.

She was standing beside Rosalie Cullen, the rest of the vampire family right beside them as they awaited the attack from the newborn army hellbent on attacking Bella Swan - who was now safely away in the mountains with Edward and Seth Clearwater. Casey Eldridge had positioned herself in a tree not far from where her daughter was standing, crossbow in hand so that she was directly away from the vampires, considering she didn't have the power of one like Haven did, but still in firing range where she could assist the Cullen's and the wolves - who were waiting in the shadows, planning on making a surprising entrance to the unknowing group of misfits.

"They really like to keep us waiting, don't they?" Haven muttered under her breath, nervously twirling her daggers in both hands. She had chosen to go with hand on hand combat with the newborns, mainly because her body felt drawn to being in the action. As much as Haven loved her bow, she had vampire abilities now and it was about time she started to utilize them.

Rosalie bit back a laugh from beside the huntress. "I don't think they're really on a tight schedule, nor do they care about how long we wait for their arrival."

Haven wished they were on a tight schedule - it would give the brunette less time to let the nerves and anxiety claw away inside her. She hoped that she had finally got on top of her difficulties with her connection with Aro, she only wished that Jacob was by her side right now so she didn't forget.

It was then that a rustle could be heard coming from the depths of the forest, a few pounding footsteps on the mushy soil.

The newborns were coming and Haven was more than ready to ruthlessly get rid of every one that entered her path.

They were threatening her best friend, but that wasn't the only issue she had. Vampires were the cause of her turmoil, the cause of her father having to hide away until a better plan was thought of and the cause of her conflicting emotions. She was more than ready to let loose on some, a piece of herself couldn't help but be vengeful for everything that had happened. It wasn't fair to blame all vampires - but it was fair to let her anger out on a bunch of them planning on killing Bella Swan.

"Everyone ready for this?" Jasper spoke, he was centered in the middle of the defensive line they had made up. "Remember everything I told you and don't hold back."

Haven turned to where her mother was standing in the tree, crouching in a stance that only a woman who had been working in this field for many years would know. The brunette caught her mom's gaze, a small nod directed her way to make sure she was ready to help from the shadows.

It only took around ten seconds for the steps to get louder, the vampires coming less carefully and faster than before. It was obvious they were ready to rampage, but so was every single person standing in the meadow - along with the wolves situated behind the rocks and trees.

"Game on," Haven muttered under her breath as dozens of pale figures erupted from the trees. With this, the Cullen's and Haven launched themselves out of their battle stances into a quickly sped run just like the newborns - Haven didn't once think about anything but killing, her daggers planted firmly in her hands.

A blonde female was the first newborn Haven was met with, she didn't look like she was much older than the huntress' herself. The blonde made an instant grab for Haven's shoulders, presumably to try and rip the exposed area with her sharp teeth. It was expected though and Haven wasn't stupid. She ducked swiftly, grabbing the vampire's freezing torso and shoving her forward to catch her off guard. Haven's hand grabbed instinctively at her long locks, snapping her head backwards with such a force that it easily ripped off her body. Haven dropped the severed head in less than a second to move on.