Letter Found

Riley

I reread the letter over and over again, unable to comprehend what it said. I rub my eyes and read it once more.

Riley,
I didn't want to do this but I didn't want to ruin everything. I found out I was pregnant. With who's child I can't tell, all that matters is that I know, and it's not safe for him to know.
I'm safe, I've went to a place where you won't find me, and it hurts that you can't be here with with me. I want you to tell my family, and yours, and everyone that I had ran away. I won't be gone forever, I will come back, don't come looking for me. You have to promise by Ringpower.
Your best friend,
Maya.

I let the tears slide down my face until I hear a knock on the door. I hastly wipe them away and stick the note in my dresser. "Yeah, come in," I say. Josh walks through the door and I can't help it. I break down and he wraps his arms around me. "Hey, hey, hey. What's wrong?" I decide to keep my promise, even if Maya is his girlfriend. "It's Maya, Uncle Josh. She ran away. My best friend ran away." I feel his arms loosen around me until they let go. I look up into his eyes and some thing is missing. The joyful eyes I grew up with have disappeared and are only filled with darkness. "Uncle Josh?" I say in a small voice. I rest a hand on his arm and he goes and sits on my bed. After about a minute he speaks.

"Why?" His voice is low, I can barely hear it. I sit next to him and lay my head on his shoulder. "I don't know Uncle Josh, I really don't know."

***

I

don't want to do this, but soon enough Wed have to tell them. I peek around the corner and watch every move around normally. My mom, getting ready to save the world again. My dad, grading tests. Little Auggie, sitting on the couch watching his cartoons. There were two place settings on the table. One for me. And one for Maya. I suck in a deep breath, build up all my courage and say it. "Maya's gone." My voice cracks, and suddenly the world's darker. Everyone stops, stares. "What are you talking about Riley?" My mom asks. I stare longingly at the place set for her.

"She, uh, she ran away." My voice gives out and I feel like collapsing right then and there. My knees buckle, and I guess I get my wish. The reality of it hits me, and my world goes black.

***

Beep. Beep. Beep.

There was an insistent beeping noise. At first I thought it was my alarm and swung my arm over to shut it off. That's when my arm hits a cold metal bar. My eyes shoot open and all I see is white. My eyes quickly adjust to see a hospital room. The air in my throat catches.

Everything comes crashing back. She's gone, she left. I want to cry but no tears come. The door opens in the corner and my mother walks through. "Mom?" My voice is hoarse and she jumps at the sudden noise. "Riley?" She drops the magazine in her and runs over to hug me. "Oh, baby, you're awake." I hug her too. So many feelings putting pressure on my chest. I don't say anything for a minute. And I don't say anything for the next minute. She releases me from the hug. "You've been here for three days. The doctors said it was something like fear just shutting everything down, putting you in a coma." I stare at her blankly, not saying a word. "Are you okay?" I nod slightly. "Okay, well I'm going to get the doctor. Don't move, okay?" I nod again and lag back down.