22| All but a Dream

The Kokiri and the young wolf both turned their heads to see the majestic warrior himself. Holding a bold stance by flexing his muscles and puffing out his mane. There wasn't anything about him that wasn't splendor or poise.

"What a show you are! Hehe!"
The Forest Sage giggled and stood up to greet the alpha wolf. Link did the same.

'That saying, it sounded important. Who spoke of that to you?'
The Hero of Twilight asked, wagging his tail since he was glad to see Rinku.

'Princess Zelda, long ago in an age when I looked like that.'
The wolf raised his head to gaze at his painting. Saria smiled gently, sighing with content. The old soul was fixated on his painting. Remembering what used to be, and never will be again.

"So, is there an agenda today for the two of you?"
The fairy girl asked politely, pulling back a strand of hair behind her pointed ear.

'Yes, there is one last lesson before we depart for Link's world again.'
The heavenly spirit seemed disappointed to say this, he glanced at Link with a bit of sorrow in his brow. The Hero of Twilight sighed in response to the dull news Rinku brought.

'Saria, thank you for telling me your stories. I will always remember them.'
The blue eyed beast brushed his head against her's softly, then left the room with his guardian spirit. The golden wolf looked over his mane for a moment at Saria, then dipped his head goodbye to his childhood friend.

Making their way out of the temple and back into the depths of the Lost Woods, the walk was silent. Link wondered what his last lesson with his ancestor was going to be. He wondered if he would ever see him again after this, or even see this world again.

'From my millennials of time travel, I now know what time is and isn't. Time is an illusion which we think allows us to exist and disappear. Time is nothing but a dream and for you and I are visions of something that is and never was. Link, you must wake up now...'
The sublime beast stopped at the large tree where Link had first entered Hyrule. The Hero of Twilight was alarmed by what his predecessor was saying to him. Link hadn't even realized they traveled so quickly to where he first entered this ancient world. The young wolf was frozen in place.

'What?'
Was all he could utter, so many thoughts were racing through his head all at once now. Was Rinku saying this was all just a dream that he was experiencing? No, he couldn't be. It seemed so real! Link couldn't comprehend what the true power of the Hero of Time was. He could once manipulate the flow of time using that special ocarina. But what else was he now able to accomplish by being a spirit?

'I don't understand... are you saying I'm dreaming? What's going on?!'
The blue eyed wolf dashed in front of him, lowering himself in a demanding stance. He glared up at the divine one, giving a low growl in frustration. The forlorn knight stood stiff, towering over Link. The Hero of Time narrowed his crimson eye at Link, remaining calm.

'What ails you, Link? I have taught you everything you need to know about my era. When we left your world we traveled back to a point in time where the old Hyrule still existed.  In your era, my world ceases to exist. We are hundreds of years back in time to a point where I am long dead.'
The alpha wolf began his explanation for everything. There was concern in his stern, accented voice. For a moment there was a silent pause but then he sighed and continued.
Rinku spoke, not once breaking eye contact with the younger wolf.