Blink

Can you imagine that if every time you were to blink, you were taking a picture. But with your eyes.

Wouldn't that be cool?

In my case it's not.

The pictures that my eyes take are sent directly back to the main lab to be investigated. Which means they know exactly what i'm doing and seeing 24/7.

I bet you're starting to wonder if i'm even human. Unfortunately, I am.

My name is Matthew Johnson, or 23BA as the scientists call me. I have no idea who my real parents are. Or even my real name. I don't even know if i had real parents at a time. All I can remember from my childhood is that I grew up in an experiment lab, in a small cell room.

My whole life I have been tested on, like a lab rat. Many horrible things have been tried on me; strange foods, new radioactive substances, and now photographic eyesight.

We're not being neglected so to speak- we have a bed, enough food and a roof above our heads. No, i'm not the only child here. There are about 23 of us aged from 12 to 16. And like me, they grew up here. We would regularly be shoved together in a room to have our responses monitored to their strange concoctions. I often speak to the other children, but never was I allowed to become too close to them. They sometimes disappeared to who knows where, never to return. While in other cases, they would be an experiment gone wrong and locked away to be forgotten. The ones who left, were never spoken of again. If we even mourned over one, the white coats would punish us.

The white coats, or scientists as they call themselves, never interact with us much, and when they do - they either order us to do something or experiment on us.

Every night I have haunting nightmares. They get so bad that I can't stop screaming. And then... they come and inject something into my veins and I black out, only to wake up screaming again. Every day I worry about what they will do to me tomorrow. What new inventions they have come up with and need a hopeless child to try it on. A child like me.