Chapter 4: We Belong

"Hey, Kurt, we're just going out to get some lunch. Do you want to come?"

I sat alone in the choir room at lunch as my three friends approached tentatively, I had told Elliott that I was having a particularly bad day that morning and it was evident that he had warned them to be cautious with me. Adam's voice had been quiet and gentle, his delicate English pronunciation gliding carefully across the words.

Unfortunately, I had an English essay to write and so shook my head slowly as I glanced upwards from where I was writing, "I can't, sorry, but you have fun."

It was more than obvious that they were wary about leaving me but I ushered them away, making sure that they left. I wasn't going to ruin their day because I was feeling a little shitty about myself and so asked for a muffin to make sure they would go.

Therefore, for about ten minutes, I sat alone. Silently scribbling words down in my bordering illegible scrawl.

However, it didn't last particularly long.

A large shadow loomed over me as I described the poet's intentions, only directing my gaze upwards after I'd finished my sentence to see Karofsky and Azimio smirking, "Well, well- this fairy's alone. Where are your little pixie friends, fairy?"

Karofsky's grating voice made my shudder as he leaned closer to my ear, allowing his breath to make me squirm. Snarling as he took hold of the collar of my shirt, Karofsky began dragging me out of the cafeteria with Azimio and the other jocks laughing in tow. It turned out that we'd come full circle as although he wasn't actually taking part, Puck followed with a face of steel and his hands tucked in his pockets.

Once we reached the football field, I was carted to behind the bleachers so that Coach Beiste wouldn't see anything if he decided to come out to the field.

Pushing me down, Karofsky laughed cruelly as I hit the dusty ground with a thud, immediately attempting to stand again though he kicked me down quickly. Suddenly, I felt someone grab a fistful of my hair and pull me up to face them, "Not so tough without your little posy of glitter, are ya, Hummel?"

I managed to evade his grip as I backed up against the bleachers, my voice shaking as I tried to defend myself, "What are you so afraid of? Are you scared I'll infect you? If you're likely to be infected, I'd say you were never 100% straight to begin with!"

Although initially I had thought that this was a particularly good comment, I soon regretted it as their faces turned to expressions of disgust and Azimio punched at my stomach furiously.

"Come on, man, I thought we were just going to scare him." Puck placed his hand cautiously on Azimio's shoulder as he stepped forward and stopped him from hitting me again immediately afterwards. It seemed that he, at least, still cared a little bit.

Turning towards him in a blind fury, Azimio snarled and shoved his hand off angrily, "That was until he called me gay! It's disgusting and it's slander."

Seeming to settle with this, Puck shrugged and turned to walk away. At least he wasn't willing to watch them harassing me. Karofsky gestured for one of his minions to stop him but Puck slammed his hand against the bleachers to stop them from touching him and his pursuer soon gave up. They soon returned to cutting my feelings to the bone with sharp insults and swift punches.

Eventually, after bruises had littered themselves across my stomach and my lip had split and started to bleed, a voice rang out across the football field. It was desperate and worried, shaky as the boy came closer, "Kurt!"

However, the jocks didn't move and continued hitting me until the person had turned around the corner and was able to see what was happening. I caught sight of Elliott from between the legs and could see his expression turning to fury as he rushed forward and ripped one of the outer bullies away, "Get away from him! What the fuck's wrong with you?" Elliott grabbed Karofsky by the collar and pulled him close to his face threateningly, eventually pushing him away and allowing him to stagger off with the others.