Chapter 1

The idea for this story came from the Maximum Ride series no copyright infringement intended.

Hi guys this is my first story on wattpad. Please vote and give me your feedback. By the way these chapters are short (so please don't put your device on the side) and so is the story but I will be doing a series. The chapter name means what characters point of view it's from.

-

Chapter 1. Rylee

I sit beside the fire, letting it get close to my fair skin. I'm watching the flames dance, when Lily walks out from her tent.

Lily is a year younger than me and a lot prettier. She is tall, skinny and she has brown hair, dip-dyed purple.

"Thank you," smiles Lily. Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you, Lily has telepathy. Lily sits next to me and wraps her thin arms around her legs.

"How far have we got till Shipe?" she asks.

"About one hundred kilometres," I say. Lily groans then lays down.

"We're never going to make it," says Lily. I hope she isn't reading my mind now, but I agreed with her. I'm not going to admit it though, because I'm the glue in this flock, I keep us together.

"We'll we should get some sleep," I suggest.

"Ok, well goodnight then," says Lily. I stand up and walk to my tent, then I unzip the front and crawl into my sleeping bag. I hear Lily mumbling to herself then I close my eyes.

-

I wake up to the sound of birds chirping. The tent shakes a bit when a gust of wind comes past. I get up and pack my tent up, stuffing it into my bag. The bag is heavy on my back but not too heavy. The fire is still glowing, so I stamp it out, we can't leave any evidence of us being here.

"You ready to go?"

I jump startled by the sudden sound.

"Sam you don't have to sneak up on people every time you want to say something," I snap.

"Well I guess I like to scare people," he smirks for a second then his face turns serious. Lily and Connor walk to us, swinging their bags onto their backs. I unfurl my pure white wings and jump into the air. I push my wings up then down, then I continue the motion over and over.

I look over my shoulder and see Lily and Connor talking, while Sam I s staring at the ground. I fly over to Sam so my wing just touches his.

"So um... well see anything nice?" I ask. Oh, god what is wrong with me I can't even start a conversation.

"Families," he says. I see the sadness in his eyes and I feel it too. My family thought I was a freak so they dumped me on the side of the road. People would think we pity humans since we're free and we can do what we like, (apart from the fact that people are trying to kill us every ten seconds) but no, having a family is all I've ever wanted.

"Well we are a family," I say, trying to cheer him up, but Sam is never one of those happy, talkative people. I decide to leave him alone and fly back to the front.

Well I guess I should tell you how this all started.

-

We were always safe on Lyra, an island in the Bermuda Triangle. No one knew of us, since no one left. Everyone one was happy. The nation was controlled by Antel, a sort of government. But people thought they weren't allowed to leave for safety issues, but no, they were making sure no one knew what they were to Zales.

Zales also know as 'winged beasts', were not like normal human beings. They had wings and each had one supernatural ability, as well as having enhanced hearing, enhanced sight and they also were stronger and faster than a human being. Antel wanted to know why how this happened, so they tried to capture every single one to stop their numbers rising.

Antel would experiment on them, most of the time driving them to madness. But no matter how hard Antel tried there would always be Zales. So they outlawed them and killed them at first sight.

Many Zales didn't know what they were, but some did and they formed a 'flock' with other Zales and they tried to escape, but being so young no one had ever made it. People still tried even though they knew they would probably die.

-

I see Shipe below and I look for some type of concealed area. I spot an area with large trees. We fly down and I land on the thickest branch I could find (which actually wasn't very thick). The branch bends a little, then it steadies. I tuck my wings into my back and scale down the tree. The others follow me down, then we set off into the city.

-

So there it is. If you're reading this and you have Instagram could you follow me, my username is divergent__demigod__tribute. Btw this is the longest chapter. Anyway could you please vote and give me your feedback.