Chapter 1

I sneak in unnoticed. If I were to be honest it was successful due to my investigations on this place over the two weeks. By now they're routines and patrol rounds were easily predictable.

All I had to do was was find the vice commander before he did. I always like to make a spectacle out of these "serious" meetings... And I'm too late. I see Dr. Matsumoto walking into the meeting with some other men. I sigh and decide I should just get it over with now that the fun I had planned was ruined.

"Morning, Matsumoto." I greet plainly, walking in. He sighs annoyedly as the other captains start to question me and my interruption.

"Sakura, at least try to be respectful." He scolds, making me grin as I threw myself down against the wall. Everyone stares at me with wide eyes but I notice them drift down to my sleeveless attire and down to my bandaged right arm. I choose to ignore it for now.

"No way, Matsumoto. You told me to come, you never said how. Does it bother you? Is it annoying?" I taunt but he just shakes his head and looks to the commanders and captains apologetically. He wasn't giving in to my provocations.

"Forgive her. She's the informant I had come to aid your tasks." He explains with stress heavy in his eyes.

"What?" They all ask in surprise.

"She's so young! She can't be it!" The commander Kondou Isami yells in protest, I'm sure he was purposely not bringing up that I was female for the sake of avoiding conflict.

"Yes, but she's a vary skilled spy and widely known informant. The information she contains is-" Matsumoto begins but I cut him off.

"That's enough. It's dangerous if others know. I'm not exactly a highly favored individual." I say turning serious, my playfulness absent from my tone.

"Yes, sorry, well anyways she is a vary trustworthy girl and the best for what you need." Matsumoto concludes simply.

"Really? She barley looks like she can pick up a sword and she's that important?" It was the one known as Okita Souji. First division captain with well known impressive skill. I had expected for him to throw so criticism at me.

"Souji-" The others started but I have something to say.

"You might want to watch what you say aloud. You never know who's going to be listening." I inform threateningly. We narrowed our eyes at each other, his eyes revealed him thinking of what I might know about him.

"Empty threats mean nothing." He retorts, grinning cockily. I reflect his expression back but with more wickedness.

"If they're so empty then should I fill it with your blood?" I ask before I put a hand over my mouth chuckling. "Oops, I didn't mean to be so rude."

"Why you-" He growls.

"Sakura! That's enough!" Matsumoto yells firmly surprising everyone. Matsumoto was never the one for yelling, at least not usually. I look away irritated.

"I don't know why your yelling at me. I'm only doing this because of my family's relation to you. I don't have to do anything beyond this." I mumble, covering for the real reason I was here.

"Well I'm doing this because of my promise to your family. You will be respectful and helpful to the Shinsengumi. I am trying to help you move on-" He begins to lecture but he's said too much.

I sigh putting my hands behind my head. "I try to have a little fun and you take it so serious. Don't be such a hothead. I get it: be nice and respectful. I won't cause any trouble." Everyone looks between Matsumoto and I, dumbfounded. He sighs rubbing his forehead, he probably knew I was just saying that to shut him up.

"You will be the cause of my stress." I grin at that. At the others confused expressions he explains, "She likes to get a reaction out of people to see what people are like. I should have warned you sooner." I laugh at the truth of it.

"I don't get to have fun nowadays. But I guess I should try to be more professional." I reason and straighten up. It was time to get down to business.

"My name is Kamen Sakura but just call me Sakura. From here on out until I'm no longer needed I will be your informant for anything you may need. I will also work to keep you, the Shinsengumi, safe in both an informational and corporeal level." I inform so there is no confusion. My change in personality has struck them speechless.

"As you can see she has experience in this type of business." Matsumoto says a bit cockily.

"This is not the first time you've done this?" It was the vice commander, Hijikata Toshizo.

"No, I get hired often as a protector, informant, or spy fairly often. However, as this is a special case I will take more care in it than I normally would. I will do best to follow orders and rules but please make exceptions to certain things I might do as it is part of my job." I could see the skepticism in their eyes

"I'm lost." The third division captain, Nagakura Shinpachi, whispers making me chuckle at his cluelessness.

"I live by your rules the best I can until it interferes with my job." I put it in simple words and I see he gets it but another issue has arose.

"Wait, she's living with us!?" The eighth division captain, Toudou Heisuke yells dramatically. The vice commander Hijikata nods, almost reluctantly.

"Yes, Sakura will live with us to ensure the safety of our experiments as well as the safety of everyone. Dr. Matsumoto had explained that she has experience in handling Furies. If anything gets out of hand she will be able to handle the situation in an efficient manner." Hijikata relays and I nod, although I wondered why they waited until now to tell them.

"But no further assistance?" It was the Secretary General known as Sannan Keisuke, implying why I wasn't helping with improving the Furies.

"No, I will not take part in any of that. Consider that the limit of my service." I say firmly and Dr. Matsumoto nods, showing them that no exceptions would be made.

"I have other responsibilities to attend to. I will be leaving now." Matsumoto informs respectively as he stood up.

"I'll be out too. Have a room ready and I'll be back with my things." I advise, my pep back in my attitude.

"Sakura." Matsumoto said stopping me at the door. I don't turn around recognizing his tone. "Please be safe. Don't do anything reckless."

"Worried about me?" I look back at him grinning. He doesn't respond and I laugh as I continue on my way out.

He should be worried.