Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I pulled into my driveway, cutting off the engine and exiting the car, locking it afterwards by pressing a button on my keychain.

I couldn't hear any construction sounds anymore, so I assumed that the construction crew had called it a night for today. It's a good thing they did, because I was worried I wouldn't get any sleep over all the noise and earthquake.

I walked towards the front door and into the house, closing the door behind me, I made my way towards the kitchen. The closer I got, the more I could smell the delicious foods Debby had probably prepared for dinner.

Debby was by far the most awesome cook ever, heck, she could even turn vegetables to the world's greatest mouth-watering dish. I think I'm exaggerating, there. Hm, oh well.

"Hey, mom," I said as I entered the kitchen, taking a seat on the table.

Mom looked up from all the papers she was occupied with and gave me a face-splitting grin, "Oh goodness, Jean, you would never guess what I just found out!"

My eyes widened slightly, not from the news she was probably going to give me, but the creepy grin on her face, "Um, that's... great?"

My mom laughed, "Oh, wait 'til I tell you what it is..."

I frowned in confusion and just when I was about to ask her what she was on about, the maids came around the table, placing a plate in front of me and my mom then stepping back with a bow, they scattered off to their assigned places.

I immediately dug into my food, forgetting the fact that I was supposed to be interrogating my mom. I was just so hungry and a Starbucks caffeine doesn't always suffice. I was so busy chomping down on my food that I didn't even realize that my mom was staring at me until I looked up.

"What?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion. Was I a frog ready for dissection? Why was she staring?

She grinned at me, "You didn't even ask me about what news I had,"

"Okay, fine," I placed my fork down and turned my attention to her, "Tell me," I picked up the glass of juice, pulling it to my lips.

My mom squealed, "You wouldn't believe it," I took a long gulp of juice, keeping it in my mouth for a moment, "I already got a pair asking me for a room!"

My eyes widened in shock and I was close to spluttering out the juice in my mouth, but I quickly swallowed it, which resulted in me choking to my death.

I coughed for a while and reached for the napkin, dabbing my mouth with it. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath to calm myself down. Opening my eyes, I turned to my mom who was looking at me with a giddy look on her face.

Taking a deep breath, I shrieked, "What?!"

My mom grimaced, "Calm down, you don't want the neighbors to call the police, do you?" She began to eat her food.

"Mom, how come you didn't tell me this before?"

I mean, I was still trying to adjust to the idea that a stranger might be living with me and I have watched way too many movies to know that a stranger always comes with danger.

Just this morning my mom had told me that I was going to be living with some unfamiliar and probably unhygienic being, how does she expect me to warm up to the idea so suddenly?

Noticing the look on my face my mom sighed, "Jean, it's not like they're going to move in today. I thought you liked the idea,"

I shook my head, "I didn't even know what to think of your idea, I was still trying to warm up to it. You know how uncomfortable I feel around strange people,"