Chapter 6:Explanation and Experimentation

Chapter six everybody. Sorry it's been a while but I hope you can enjoy this to make up for my being late...

Paul's perspective

I felt guilty. It was four o'clock in the morning and I'd woken up Bailey by shouting. I heard the floor creak in the otherwise silent house, telling me Joe had stood up out of bed. Not bothering to take off his headset, I ran up the stairs; "Stay where you are Bailey,  I'm coming to help." He did as he was told and so I reached him at the door to his room and carefully led him down the shallow stairs to the living room, where it was more comfortable and easier to talk. The two sofas where beige and I led my son to the nearest one, sitting down myself on the other one. I sighed and said nothing, trying to think of a suitable and sane-sounding way to explain what I'd discovered.

"Dad, why where you shouting? Is it to do with my headset? I-I didn't hear what you said..."

"Why do you sound so sorry love? And yes it is to do with your headset. It's not a bad thing, it's just different so you've no need to look so worried."

"So what actually is it dad?"

"Well, I think you can brainwash people into thinking that people have said something different to what they actually have," I heard the laughter as soon as I'd finished. I would've expected it from other children but not mine. It wasn't like Joe to laugh at someone, especially me but it was good to see he could laugh. Earlier, and even as I'd watched him coming down the stairs, he'd looked positively broken. "Seriously. Right, I'll show you," I said, jokingly though. I grabbed the camera, still with the headset on and activated both of the devices' filming settings. I said waffles, seeing as I still really wanted them. I stopped the headset's one by blinking my eyes twice. As I was finding the 'memory' in my mind, I asked Joe what I'd just said. As he responded correctly, the tabby cat, Fluffy, we had jumped onto my lap and as a cue, I changed the text under the sound wave to 'meow'. The wave changed after a few seconds, whilst the loading wheel next to 'transmitting' turned. After what was in my mind reverted back to my vision, I watched Bailey but his face showed no signs of change and he continued facing forward looking at nothing. I was still hopeful, asking him what I'd said again, as I remembered saying both.

"Come on dad, it's late and I've got school in the morning. My answer's the same as last time. Can I please have my headset back? I like being able to see"

"Just, please Bailey, say the word you heard."

"You know what it was. Meow dad, you said meow." I stopped the film in disbelief I was correct or crazy and hallucinating. This was insane. I played the clip back and my son was equally as surprised as I, even if he only heard the sounds. "Dad! Give me a try! Please!"

"OK. I suppose you want your headset back too?" I said passing it to him, "Say the word whilst recording using the memory setting. Then go to stored memories and retype the text," I was nervous as I did really want to see if it worked. As Bailey filmed he said Owl the first time, or so the video told me because I'd heard Jam. It really was magical. He insisted on another go, "OK sweetie, but only one. As you said it is late," I said gently, as I was tired. I patted his knee affirmingly (A/N: I know it's not a word) and left it there, telling not to bother with the camera. But this time something must've gone wrong as I remembered both as if I'd said it myself. I made him try it again, despite what I'd said, after toggling a bit with it and placing my hands back in my lap. I only remembered one word again and started to think hard. After two or three minutes in silence, except Fluffy mewing, Bailey spoke up.

"Um... I know it's a stupid idea, but I've read a lot of fantasy books and this is like a fantasy. Anyway, could it be to do with us touching?"

I figured that any idea was a good one as we were both very new to this. We tried four more times; two of each (touching and non-touching). After that we concluded it was our best bet, seeing as those times had followed the trend. I sent Bailey up to bed, saying he had permission to try it tomorrow at school, on Nathan. He looked slightly awkward and ashamed at that and it made me think something might've happened between them, which was sad seeing as he was lovely and seemingly Bailey's only friend. He headed up then and thinking to myself and stroking the cat, I decided it was probably best to tell no-one about this, this secret, until we had more evidence. And to be frank, I was actually kind of scared...

That was shorter than the other chapters and less action-packed but just wait for next chapter... Enjoy life beautiful readers. :-