Chapter 1

I threw myself in my oh so comfortable bed, resting one hand on my stomach and the other firmly clenching my beloved phone.

I was indeed waiting for an important text. A valuable text, if I may add.

My best friend thought it would be a good idea to leave me in the middle of summer and go on a holiday all the way to the sunny Florida. I would have been there too, and I believe the whole neighbourhood knew how much I wanted to be there, since I asked sometimes so passionately that maybe martians could hear me. The only obstacle were my parents asking me to help them in town. They had even handed me a list of things that had to be done. I could have actually solved something, I just needed-

My phone buzzed right in my hand and sent a tingling sensation up my arm. Screw helping.

It wasn't a text as I expected, but you never know with Eva. Eve the Hurricane, to be more exact.

"Guess who just arrived in Florida and is tanning in this very moment?" her voice softly inquired and filled my entire existence with happiness. Since we have moved in Virginia for my parents' jobs Eva became my best friend. There was nothing you couldn't love about her: the red hair and faint freckles covering her cheeks, the grey piercing eyes and her charismatic way of being. They were all drowning you into her, for both guys and girls. She was a complete angel, or at least she did very well with building up that first-impression.

She was an unusual appearance compared to me.

And I didn't mind it.

"Let me think about it." I rubbed my chin and studied the ceiling, even though she couldn't see me. "Robert Downey Jr.!" I exclaimed as she laughed on the other side. There was something about her laugh. Something unusual.

"Me," she remained quiet for a moment and then whispered "and many, many hot guys."

And there it is.

"Please tell me you're not planning on taking home one of them, or even better."

"What could possibly be better than that?" she asked with a hint of curiosity.

"Bringing home not just you, but a little Eva inside you." I told her in the most serious way, yet she still laughed. Her ability to laugh at everything overwhelmed me.

"Just don't do anything stupid. Oh, and have fun!"

"You just ruined my whole idea of fun." she muttered as I lightly shook my head, a humorless smile curving my lips.

She cleared her throat and then continued. "You too have fun! Maybe have fun with that hot neighbour of yours,"

I laughed at her remark and looked out my window, directing my curious gaze to the house facing ours. I sucked in a sharp breath and bit my lip. I didn't have a well defined reason to do so- their house was two streets away, and I could see it from my balcony- I just felt that something, someone, was there.

"Which one?" I finally asked, breaking the eye contact with the familiar house as a curtain slightly moved.

"Ash, of course. Tate is mine."

At that I laughed quietly and couldn't help but remember my first day of high school in that city and how I met Eva.

The girl was a complete tornado.

When I first saw her she was hugging everyone she knew, and then bumped 'accidentally' in Tate. She was all flirty and blushing, maybe a little bit touchy.

I would have said something sarcastic and walked right away.

"Hayley?"

A shiver passed through me. I blinked a few times and took a deep breath.