Prologue

Heart in her throat, Hera Syndulla, a Twi'liek, waited impatiently outside the ship. She paced back and forth, looked down at the ground, her light green face was screwed up in a deep worry. As she walked she watched the sun get closer and closer to the horizon line.

"Hera, waiting outside isn't going to make them come home faster," Sabine Wren, a Mandalorian, walked up to Hera, looking up at her with worry on her face.

"I don't care when they get back, I just need them to come back," Hera muttered, swallowing the lump in her throat, she held back tears. Of course Kanan had pulled things like this before. Not returning from a mission for days, scaring Hera to death. But this was different, now they had a crew, and Kanan hadn't gone alone.

Suddenly the faint sound of an engine echoed through the darkening sky. Hera shot her head in the sound's direction, her headtails hitting the side of her face. Sabine's eyes widened as she saw The Phantom approach them. She quickly left Hera outside and ran onto the ship.

"Guys, they're back!" She yelled at Zeb and Rex, then turned and ran back outside.

As everyone joined outside to welcome the three back, a wind of sorrow drifted through the air. The doors to The Phantom opened, Hera nearly fell to the cold ground. She saw Ezra helping Kanan. His eyes were covered by a bandage, and he could barely walk. Without thinking, tears filling her eyes, she ran up to Kanan. She ran her hands over his bandaged eyes, he recognized her scent and tried to remain calm. She kept herself from crying as she pulled him close for a hug.

Rex looked at Ezra and worry filled his eyes. Ezra slightly shook his head, and Rex's eyes went to the ground.

Many things were lost that day.

First part, sorry I know it was short...comment if you'd like to see more. Like the description says this is mostly a Kanera fanfic, but there are other aspects to it as well. Anyways, like I said, comment if you want to see the next chapter (Which is longer, I promise!)