Chapter 7

Left

~~~

"Okay, ladies, listen up! This is Coach Heath, she's a temporary coach here. She'll be here every Tuesday and Thursday," explained Alex, turning to smile at the girl. "She's a close friend of mine, we both played soccer together. We played for the Portland Thorns and the Women's National Team. Anything you'd like to add Coach?"

"Yes, I'm Coach Heath or call me Coach T. I'm pretty much a laid back coach but that doesn't mean we aren't gonna be fooling around, we're gonna get some work done in here."

"Yes, ma'am."

The 4th-period soccer class walked to the field. "Ok stretch, do your lap, then meet up here to choose our teams for our scrimmage."

"Thanks, Marky," chuckled Octavia teasing Marc's hair again; he liked it. "No problem, O," he smiled before walking over to his and Octavia's friends. 

"Hey, so the carnival is in town and I was uh wondering," mumbled the nervous boy, rubbing the back of his neck. Octavia nodded with a smile as she saw the cute boy blush furiously. "would you like to go with me, on a date, tomorrow?"

"Of course, Malik," she smiled, pecking him on the cheek before taking off to her 6th-period class. He watched her walk away with a couple of her friends dreamily. "Awh, Marc has a date," smirked Zach, playfully punching his shoulder. "You know," replied the boy with an excited smile.

The boys decided to skip school that day, they drove downtown and skated. "You can't be skating over here," shouted an officer, shoving Josh. "We're sorry, sir, we're leaving," added Marc before the other twin could say anything stupid.

"Hey," whispered a voice. Marc turned around, lifting his board from the ground. "Come here, kid." He walked toward the man with a confused look. "Yes sir," he responded, nodding his head.

"You want some," he asked before pulling out a bottle. "No, I'm not interested," denied Marc. As soon as the teenager began to walk away, the man got a strong hold of his arm. 

"What's your problem," he said before pulling his arm from the strong grip he had on him. "No! Come here," he shouted, worried that Marc would tell the officer. "Give me my money! He stole my money," he lied. "I didn't steal shit," spat Marc, glaring at him. "Officer! Officer, please. He stole my money."

Marc began to walk faster towards his friends before beginning to jog. "Guys we gotta go. Now," he muttered pulling Zach with him. "Hey! Get back here," shouted the officer. "Stop!"

"I'm sorry officer you must be mistaken. I didn't take anyth-Oww!" he cried, holding his leg.

"I told you to leave. Now you're just causing trouble, I'm tired of little boys like you," muttered the cop, hitting Marc with the nightstick again. "Hey! Hey! Stop that," shouted Zach, running to the cop. He turned around to look at Zach and warned him, "Back up before you're next."

"He didn't do anything," responded the boy with his hands raised in the air.

"I warned you," he threatened, beginning to beat Zach with his nightstick. Marc laid on the ground, dazed, watching as Zach tried to fight the off. His torn red flannel was the only thing he was able to see. Spinning visions of his friend getting beaten by the cop were all he saw. Then, he saw the twins walk toward the cop. "Get his badge number," whispered Jack as Alec was recording what was going on. Where did Josh go?

"Zach," strained Marc his eyes slowly beginning to close, "I'm right here. Brother."

Marc woke up in an ambulance truck. "Where's Zach," he questioned, beginning to sit up quickly. "No, you need to rest, sir, lay back down, he's right here," comforted the nurse as she held him tightly, making him lay back down. He looked over to his left and saw Zach laying on the stretcher with the EMTs surrounding him. 

"Zach, brother, don't leave me," he groaned before falling back to sleep.

"I'm looking for Marc Solo," said Tobin impatiently at the front desk with Alex holding her hand. "Room 314," answered the lady at the desk. Tobin thanked her and raced upstairs. She swung the door open. There he was, patched up on a coma.

"Marc," she whispered sitting beside him placing her hand on his. Marc slowly opened the one eye that wasn't bruised up. "T-Tobin," he replied in a scratchy voice. 

3 days later...

"Okay, Marc. You're good to go," said the doctor as Marc sat in the wheelchair. After leaving his room, he rolled to Zach's only to find out no one was there. "Must've left early," he thought, leaving the room before heading to the lobby.

"Marc," said Alex standing up and pacing towards him. "Mom," he smiled hugging her tightly. Tobin, Alec, and the twins walked over too, no Zach. "Hey, guys. Where's Zach?"

Everyone looked down. 

Jack looked up at Marc with puffy eyes. Marc shook his head, denying any bad news about Zach coming to mind. "Don't tell me that. He's not, he can't be," he stammered. Alec sighed and placed his hand on his friend's shoulder. "He's gone, dude." 

"No! No he isn't," said Marc, beginning to cry. "I need to see him."

He laid in bed, staring at the ceiling, thinking about what happened. He was gone.

All because he tried to help him.

Suddenly, he saw a figure laying beside him laying in the same position as him.

"Zach?"

Marc's eyes glistened with excitement and happiness. "Hey, brother. I came here to say goodbye for I am on a journey," he smiled excitedly. "I saw her Marc. I saw Mom, she looked amazing."

Was this a dream?

"Don't leave please, brother. I need you, we need you" he said with a shaky voice. "I have to, it's my time. Don't worry, I'll see you again. Don't let this moment hold you back. I will be by your side, every step of the way on the ladder to success."

Zach stood up. 

"See you later Marc," he said before walking out the door.