Potions

We walked around the empty halls for a while, where I took in the scenery. Brynna was explaining most of the rooms. We walked past a door that read; Entrance to Fine Arts classes. I stole a quick glance over to the door, where there was an outdoor hallway, leading  to a HUGE building. There were some students that were working outside with paint. There were dancers improving, just moving along without a care to the faint music I could hear. One of the artists, a girl wearing cat ears that had purple hair and a cupcake shirt, waved. It made me smile, thinking that the people at this strange high school of magic and mythical creatures could actually be really nice. The people at my old school weren't very nice, and some people were very shady. Since I moved around a lot, I didn't have many friends, and my best friends from three schools ago didn't have a Skype. "Come on, let's go!" Brynna said, startling me and breaking the silence. "It's a good thing Ms. Gibson let us go early, Potions is across campus and I usually just fly, but that's going to be difficult now, I suggest buying a broom." We walked by a enormous Library. "This is the Library. We have books on all sorts of subjects here! Ranging from moon phases to Caesar Francis who discovered the hardest spell in the world to dark magic (nobody told you that, Brynna muttered) to flight tactics to simple multiplication." Inside the library I saw a student get disciplined for playing Gary's Mod and Undertale on the Library's computers. Eventually, we got to a room labeled Potions. We walked inside, and I hoped that potion making isn't too much different from Chemistry. Inside the room I found a very tall, lean man sitting behind his desk.  Without looking up, he said; "Hello, Ms. Bryan. I am your potions professor, Professor Duffrin. Potion-making at this level is very dangerous, so I ask that you take a lab coat. The good thing is, making potions is not that different from chemistry, which you have done at your other schools, I presume?" Professor Duffrin said. We took our Lab coats, put our stuff in a locker, and took a seat at our desks. There were tiny vials of bubbling, colored liquid set up on our tables. Pretty soon, someone sat down at the seat next to us, and then the class started filing in. On the table next to us, Galya, Flare, and Stacy sat down. The person sitting next to us said "Oh, hi. Are you the new student? I'm Frost, nice to meet you." She had a martial arts headband, tying her hair back. She was wearing a blue shirt and a floral skirt. "Oh, by the way, if you don't want to make Professor Duffrin mad, you might want to tie your hair back. Many of the ingredients we use are highly flammable." Frost whispered. Then she handed me a ponytail holder. I looked over and saw that Flare's hair was perfectly tied up in a bun. I guess hair made out of flame wouldn't be a good idea in a potion environment. "RING!" I jumped as the bell rang and a student burst in the door. It was a fennec fox, wearing a blue shirt and skirt, panting. "Sorry Professor Duffrin, I got caught in the mania that is the hallway, and I was at flight class. I am so sorry." I was confused for a moment. She sounded a lot like someone, but I don't recall who. She threw her stuff in her locker and put on her lab coat. Her hair magically went up when she snapped her paw like fingers. When Professor Duffrin called attendance, he called the name "Emily" and that struck a bell. Then I remembered. Emily from flight class. The fennec fox answered the name. When Professor Duffrin finished attendance, he said; "Today class, we will be making a draught of power. When used, it should make a person's powers enhanced. If that person does not have any non-physical powers, it should make that person stronger. We will not be testing this on ourselves. Instead we will be testing this Draught of Power on magic salamanders. We will need the following; Fire in a Bottle, Pure Mist of Magic, Plant Essence, Physic Gases, Dark Matter, a single water droplet, Aether clouds, The Empty Void, Cosmic Sands, Mercury, and Bottled Thunder." We all went to work, until someone on the table behind us, dropped some Dark Matter. At first, I thought she had broken it. The wolf picked up the Dark Matter. Professor Duffrin looked up, saw what was happening, and yelled "STOP." "Moon-moon, you know better than to try to clean up a dangerous material after you dropped a whole vial of Dark Magic. Students, if you drop a vial of any substance, please tell me. I know how to respond to it properly. Please stay after class so I can make sure none of the Dark Matter escaped, and contaminate it. We cannot have an outbreak of Dark Matter." Professor Duffrin then picked up the vial using Light magic. There was a clap of thunder, and some students snickered. "QUIET STUDENTS!" Professor Duffrin yelled, finally losing his temper. "DO NOT ABUSE THE BOTTLED THUNDER!" I looked away and we continued to do our daily assignment. At the end of class, we took off our lab coats, and handed them to Professor Duffrin. He used magic to lift all the substances. It all transformed into a ball, when Professor Duffrin squished it until it was contained. As I was walking out the door, he asked, "Ms. Bryan, at the end of the day, can you take all the magic waste to the dumpster for stray magic waste while Brynna is showing you around the rest of the school? Thanks." I nodded, then walked out of the door.