Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Lila came downstairs an hour later. Eddie was sound asleep in Jamie's arms, her breathing finally evened out and her body had relaxed. Jamie intermittently kissed Eddie's head, watching her sleep. He looked up when he heard Lila enter the room. Jamie offered her a gentle smile, "How you holding up, Kitten?"

Lila sank into the chair, "I was so scared, Dad. Mom was crying so hard, she was gasping and holding her chest. I thought she was having a heart attack."

"I'm sorry you had to see that," Jamie replied. "I was so worried when you called, I wanted to be with Mom so badly to help her through this. She's been stuck in such a rough place since Grandad died. Too many regrets." Jamie brushed back a piece of Eddie's hair and kissed the crown of her head.

"I didn't know how to help her," Lila confessed. "Joe would have known but I didn't."

"You're still young," Jamie soothed seeing Lila was starting to cry. "Oh, come here, Kitten. Come here..." Jamie reached out his free arm to hold his daughter. "Ssh, you did so well. You did. You got Mom home, you gave her the space she needed to cry it out. Mom has been holding so much inside for so long. It's all right..." Jamie shifted Eddie so she was lying on his lap and pulled Lila to his chest. She was always an emotional girl, but her pregnancy made her more so.

"I'm sorry, Dad," Lila sobbed. "It's all my fault. If I didn't pick up those cookies..."

"No," Jamie soothed. "No, Kitten. This was going to happen one way or another. Mom was holding in so much pain and hurt. There's years of pain and anger inside of her that she had to let go of, Sweetie. It's not your fault. Why do you kids always make things your fault, hmm?"

Lila cried into Jamie's chest as he rocked her. She missed Peter too. Of all of them, she had been the closest to him, even having weekly lunches with him in school. Jamie dropped soft kisses on Lila's head. When Lila finally cried herself out she sat up. "I better get home, Dad. Steven is getting off at midnight and I am going to be busy cooking tomorrow. Tell Mom I love her, okay?"

Jamie nodded and stood up shakily. His leg was stiff from holding the same position for so long. He reached for his cane and walked Lila to the kitchen where Danny was patiently waiting to take her home. "Take care of my girl," Jamie told his older brother.

Danny smiled, "You bet. Eddie okay?"

"Yeah, she's sound asleep," Jamie replied going to the cabinet for a drink. "I have never seen her that way. No when she got sick, not after my stroke, not when she and Erin had the big blow out. Thanks for having our back today."

Danny patted Jamie's arm, "That's what big brothers are for, especially retired ones. Let me know if you need me to come sit with her or anything if she'd not having a good day or whatever."

Jamie nodded as Lila and Danny headed out to Danny's car.

Lila had just gotten out of the shower when Steven got home from his 60 hour shift. All it took was one look to tell she'd had a rough day. Steven dropped his gear and moved closer to her, "What's wrong? You feeling okay?"

"Mom," Lila replied. "She, uh..."

"Lila," Steven sighed. "When are you and your Mom going to settle this stuff...?"

"Steven, it's not that," Lila replied. "And pick up your stuff. I'm not your maid, I'm your wife. I wash laundry but only if it makes it to the hamper!"

Steven looked at Lila with a question in his eyes. "Lil..."

"We went to the grocery store today after lunch," Lila began. "It was going great, Mom and I are fine, we are fine so you saying we aren't..."