Chapter 12

Emily watched Larry tinker around in her car. She saw Delilah walking up towards them.

"Glad you're here," Larry said.

"You are now?" Delilah said.

"Well I've got to do some work for you to do. You'll both be in the common room tonight right?" he said, looking from his daughter to Emily.

"Yeah," Emily said.

"My offer still stands. Even when I find out what is wrong with your car, it could take a few days to get parts or find where parts are," Larry said.

"You're probably right," Emily said.

"Well in that case, I'm going to show Emily around!" Delilah said. She took Emily away before another word could be said, and they made their way towards the front door of the Crescent.

"This way! Let me give you the tour!" Delilah said. She was like an excited kid showing off her new toys. Emily was curious to hear more about this place, and the south. They went through the door and into lobby, passing Michael. Michael looked up at them and ignored them.

"Ignore him," Delilah said.

"Just what I was thinking," Emily said and laughed. They started to move through the hallway and up the stairs. "He isn't the most friendly person ever, but he isn't that bad once you get to know him." Delilah was in front of Emily, and Emily watched as she moved her hand across the velvet on the walls. The wooden stairs covered in rugs looked grand as Emily's eyes followed them and noticed how they swept up into the second floor. The walls were painted a deep red, which seemed to be the theme of the Crescent, along with the red velvet.

Emily looked down from the top of the stair case. "This hotel is incredible," Emily said. The view from the window looked out to the driveway and the street where the Gulf was lying in-between the trees. It was a shock for Emily to see water like that. The Bowl of dirt and mud was hideous compared to this. The long, grassy yard stretched on each side of the gravel driveway and it swung from side to side with the wind. Emily turned to Delilah.

"It's pretty cool huh?" Delilah said.

"How long has this place been here?" Emily asked.

"The place was built in 1886 by brothers, Tom and Richard Toole. They were my relatives," Delilah explained.

"That long ago?" Emily said. "I don't think there's a house around me that is old at all."

"Their father built this hotel as their home. It was suppose to be big enough to block any weather and hold a large family. You see, he got his fortune told in New Orleans about a storm that would come and wipe away the city..." Delilah said.

"Did it?" Emily asked.

"Yes. After Tom and Richard's father died is a large storm later that year, and left them the estate," Delilah said.

"The property was too large to manage because not only was there the house, but there was a lot of the land that surrounded it. They bought it and farmed it because a lot of neighbors lost their homes and had to move. Behind the Crescent, the property use to contain the church and hundreds of areas that became farm land and later shops that you'll see downtown."

Delilah turned from the window and walked down the hall. They came to large wood doors that were opened and revealed the library. The library had spiraling stairs and book shelves from the ground to almost the ceiling.

"Wow," Emily said.

Delilah smiled. "This is a great room," she said. Emily looked around the library. She ran her fingers alone the spines of books. Dust settled from the books onto her fingers.

"I can imagine this place filled with people," Emily said.

"Tell me more about the area," Emily said.

"It was advertised back in those days that Biloxi was a cancer curing place because of the hot springs. The springs that were suppose to cure people were only hot springs. It didn't cure anyone."

Emily looked at the books. Delilah walked to a bean bag chair on the rug in the middle of the library and sat down. She ran her hand on the rug.

"Once the brothers died, my grandparents turned it into to a hotel."

"What about you?" Delilah said.

"What do you mean?" Emily asked.

"What brought you out here?" Emily hesitated, running her hand along the book spines.

"I'm looking for my mom who came down somewhere around here," Emily said.

"Oh, how long has she been here?"

"A week or so," Emily said. She stopped there.

"It's always been a nice room," Delilah said, looking around.

"And I came here for me too," Emily said.

"Let's go. I think my dad wants us," Delilah said. "Are you helping out tonight? You don't have to if you don't want to."

"No I should. It's the least I can do," Emily said. "What exactly am I helping with?"

"I'll show you," Delilah said.

They walked back down the stairs until they were in the lobby again. Larry was standing there with a clipboard.

"Also, I advise you all to stay inside because of the storm that could lead to a potential hurricane. We're keeping the news on tonight for updates until we're sure, so please watch it," Larry said to Michael and other staff nearby. Emily thought about Delilah's story, and looked over at Delilah. Delilah shrugged her shoulders.

Larry handed Delilah a sheet with a large chart. Delilah looked at it closely.

"The schedule reads that we'll be working dinner tonight and to report to the kitchen in an hour for prepping," Larry said. He left for another room.

"Ready to do this?" Delilah said.

"Yes lets," Emily said. She was ready to start.