Chapter 3

Only approximately 20 minutes later my phone buzzed with a text from Niall saying that he and Violet were waiting outside.

I locked my dorm room and headed out.

∗ ∗ ∗ ∗

As soon as I stepped through the front door of the party, I was hit with an unpleasant overwhelming odour of alcohol, smoke and sweat.

Great. Just great. I thought to myself.

It's going to be a hell of a night. At the time, I didn't know how right I was.

I had walked no further than five meters away from the door, when a red plastic cup containing a sticky brown liquid was shoved into my hand.

"Oh no-" But the person walked off. I inhaled deeply.

I brought the cup to my nose in attempt to decipher exactly what type of alcohol (I assumed it was alcohol) it was. But the smelt was too repulsive and caused me to gag.

Of course I'd had alcohol before. And sure I'd been drunk. But not since before I had left Florida.

"Come on Beth." Violet said, pulling me by my arm through the crowd of lingering college kids.

Violet followed Niall through the swamp of people and finally stopped when we reached a couch full of people drinking, smoking and laughing.

"Niall! You made it." One of the boys said fist pumping him. The boy's hair was styled into a quiff. He had dark brown roots and had obviously dyed the top a shade of bubblegum pink. His eyes were a mix of hazel and brown.
He wore a long sleeved shirt but the sleeves were rolled up to his elbows revealing the ink which littered his skin.

When he noticed my lingering stare he shot me a charming smile and held out a hand.

"I'm Zayn."

"Elizabeth."

"See, I told you this party was a good idea! It's only been 5 minutes here and you've already made a friend!" Violet smirked, while whispering into my ear.

I gave a small smile. I was still uncomfortable with the whole situation. When I left Florida (and one of the reasons I left in the first place) I promised to turn my life around. No more parties. No more drinking. No more toxic relationships.

"Beth, this is Dan, Louis, Tiff, Liam and Zayn." Niall said introducing the people on the couch. A few replied with a small nod and a small smile. The only person I had seen before was Tiff, who was in Violet, Niall and I's journalism class but I'd never spoken to her before.

Niall, Violet and I sat down on the floor in front of the couch. I was closest to Zayn who sat at the end.

"Before you guys came we were playing truth or dare," Zayn explained. "You guys wanna join?"

Niall and Violet both agreed immediately. But I wasn't too convinced.

Vi noticed my uncertainty and poked my side with mouthing "your making friends."

I sighed and pouted before slowly nodding my head in response to Zayn's offer.

He grinned. "Great. Okay, let's start with Niall asking."

"Ah.. way to put me on the spot man." Niall joked and Zayn smirked and shrugged, while lifting his red cup to his lips.

"Alright. Tiff I dare you... to make out with Louis."

"Seriously Niall, wow hard dare considering my boyfriend." She said, her voice laced with sarcasm.

Niall shrugged. The girl Tiff wasted no time in turning to her boyfriend and quickly sucked his face off.