Chapter Thirty: Good Guys

I sighed heavily as I closed the door behind me after entering my house. I kicked my shoes off, and ran up the stairs to go into my room. These past weeks have been stressful for the preparations for my final exams. At least it's Friday, I thought to myself, after throwing myself on my bed. I shut my eyes for a while, until I heard someone walk into my room.

"Nafisa, beta," I heard my mom say. I immediately opened my eyes and sat up straight.

"Yes, Ammi?" I said, rubbing my eyes groggily.

She walked towards my bed, and sat down net to me. "Mujay tumsay zaroori baat karney hai (I need to talk to you.)"

I stared at her confused. "What is it?" I asked, watching my mom carefully.

"I was thinking about your future," my mom began. "And, while I was thinking, I thought that if you want to become a doctor, I could send you to Pakistan."

My eyes widened. Before I could say anything else, my mom began to speak again.

"But I can't send you to Pakistan alone, so I thought that I could get your marriage done, and send your husband and you you to Pakistan together, for medical school."

I nearly choked on my own saliva. "What?" I shrieked. "Ammi, you can't be serious. You're joking, right? This is an early April Fools prank, isn't it?"

"Fazool baatay khatam kardo! (Stop your useless talk.)" My mom scolded. "This is serious."

I couldn't take in what my mom was saying. I couldn't believe what she way saying. I began to feel slightly lightheaded. "Pakistan is one thing, but getting married? I am not ready! I can't get married! How will I find a good proposal in time? It's not possible."

"Finding a good proposal is not a problem," my mom said. "The boy is coming tomorrow."

My jaw dropped. "What?" I screamed in disbelief. "You found me a marriage proposal? Without telling me?  And he is coming tomorrow? Ammi, why? I don't want to get married now, I don't want to go to Pakistan and do medical school. Please, I'm begging you, I don't want to do this," I said, holding back my tears.

"Nafisa, I am thinking about your future! If you study medical in Pakistan, you will be done studying faster than studying in Canada. And you won't have to worry about getting a good marriage proposal."

I was at a loss for words. My life was literally changing in seconds.

"Who's the boy?" I asked quietly.

"Sohail. He is in his last year of high school too. He will be studying in medical school in Pakistan as well."

I never responded. I just stared at my floor.

My mom began to get up. "These next few weeks are going to be very difficult, Nafisa, but this is for the best."

Then she left me, leaving me lost in thought.

***

I woke up the next day, with a scowl on my face. I was not looking forward to meet Sohail. It was nearly 12:00 in the afternoon, yet I remained in my bed, in the dark, while scrolling through my phone, until my mom entered my room.

"Nafisa, wake up! Today's an important day!" My mom shouted turning on all the lights in my room.

I hissed at the light, and curled into a ball under my blanket. I refused to get up. I didn't want to do anything. I just wanted to sleep.

I closed my eyes, trying to go back to sleep, until I heard angry footsteps coming to my room once again.

"Nafisa, bas kardo! (Stop it.)" my mom yelled. "If you don't get up right now, I'm taking your phone."