Hide, Seek, Seek, Hide

Lying low was no problem at all. I had already been doing that. So I just stuck to my routine, wake-breakfast-work-lunch-work-dinner-sleep. The ultimate human experience.

It lasted for all of one day. I was on my way to work when a man sat next to me on the bus. "You're getting off at the next stop."

I frowned. "Who are you?"

The nuzzle of a gun pressed against my side. "Do as I say and it won't matter."

I shifted slightly. The agent pressed the weapon in harder. I looked around and out of the window.

Broad Street. Not one of the greatest places to be. Especially not at this time of day, at the stop where the agent wanted me to get off. The stop was ridiculously busy - thick with dozens, almost a hundred people waiting to board. And not one would be paying attention to the short chick nearly attached to the man in all black.

Nevertheless, I stood up and made my way off the bus, into the raucous crowd. There I made a break for it. The agent wouldn't risk shooting around so many people. And with so many people, I hardly stood out. In fact, I was small enough that I was able to slip among the city's humans easily. Making my way to the corner, I crossed Broad Street quickly, in the direction of the river.

I checked over my shoulder. The agent was distant but closing. I ducked behind a building - and skidded to a stop.

There were three more agents waiting. No guns, but menacing enough. I took a few steps back and then spun around back the way I came. My original abductor was right there waiting.

Something closed around my head, and before I could react, a shock ran through my body and I fell. I must have blacked out on the way down.

*****

Dim colors swam into focus. I was cold. That was unusual. My energy was supposed to keep me warm all the time. Wherever I was... There was a flat metal table before me, and I was secured to a metal chair. I felt drowsy. They must have hit me with enough tranquilizers to fell a horse race.

There was a small commotion outside, and soon a figure entered via the sole door. Male, average height, brunet. Completely unfamiliar. He was dressed in a suit that was clearly also a uniform. It didn't quite work for him.

"Care to explain what's happening here?" I asked, tilting my head. The agent barely gave me a glance.

"We'll be asking the questions here. Cooperate and you'll both be fine."

Both? Dammit....

"Questions about what?" I asked.

The agent leaned against a wall. "What is Cantrell's plan?"

Oh, great. That man. "I don't know. He didn't tell me."

"We know it has to do with you and the child."

"Actually, it doesn't, according to him. That's what I thought at first too. But apparently there were 'complications.'"

The agent snorted. "Complications. I think it's safe to say he's lying."

I shrugged. "Possibly. Whatever the case, I don't know anything."

"You should remedy that. You are at the center of this, after all. If there's anything you need, it's information."

He was probably right about that, but I left that alone. "What exactly are you planning to do with me? I can't help you."

"Tell us exactly what he said the last time he spoke to you."

"Actually, he told me to leave him alone. Does that help any?"

That must have meant something to the agent, because he leaned back and studied me quietly for a moment. Then he stood and folded his arms. "Whatever he has planned, we are going to stop it at any cost. We suggest you keep your distance. If he gets in touch with you again, let us know immediately."

I shrugged. "How do I do that?"

"Call this number." The agent reached just close enough to hand me a business card. That card was blank, aside from a strange string of numbers.

"Thanks." I nodded toward the card. "I'd take it, but my hands are kinda full. Can I go home now?"

I blacked out again.

*****

Something slammed next to my head, and I jumped. "Roscoe?"

My boss was standing over me. I was sitting at my desk, at work. "Um," I said.

He looked overly concerned. "You haven't been yourself lately. Do you need some time?"

I started to say, "No-"

"All right. We'll put you on a temporary leave of absence indefinitely. We can start now. I'll call Shannon to take you home."

Wait, what? "But I'm fine!"

"Roscoe, for the last few weeks," my boss said in a very low, almost menacing voice, "you have been unfocused at best and unreliable at worst. I'm giving you the better of two options."

I clenched my teeth but said nothing.

"Don't worry about moving. I'll send Shannon to you. And Roscoe," my boss added over his shoulder, "take care of yourself."

*

"You know what?" Shannon sighed and then tugged at her hair. "If I ever meet this guy, I'm gonna kill him."

My face was in the table. "It isn't all his fault."

"Like hell it isn't. All of this? This craziness? It's been since you met him. I wish you hadn't."

I had told Shannon everything, leaving out only two things: his being a druid and my being pregnant. And my being a Primordial, but I had never told her that. "That's true."

"He should never have gotten you involved in his shit. Selfish bastard." She started pacing around my kitchen, rubbing at her neck in frustration. "Evil, selfish bastard."

"Um," I said meekly, "did you ever get yourself checked out? Like, after your crash."

She froze, then stared at me. "Did he say that too?"

I didn't answer.

Shannon shook her head. "This is insane. Stay away from him, all right?"

I wanted to. I really, really did. But the baby.... "I will."

"Good." She bent down and hugged me.

Lying doesn't feel so great.