iii.

THE MOMENT IN THE PAST IN WHICH LOUIS FUCKING PANICS:

"I fucking hate needles," Ed murmurs as he sticks a massive one directly into one of Louis' protruding veins. "They creep me out."

"Well, that's a bit reassuring, seeing as you're my doctor and all." Louis says, leaning back against the uncomfortable vinyl-covered chair and scrunching her nose as Ed makes a small retching sound. "Next you're going to tell me that you have a deep-running hatred for gingers."

Ed lets out a small laugh and rolls across the bright linoleum floor on his pink spinny-chair, and then he pauses before grabbing a clipboard from the small counter and rolling back. He has his hair tied back in a half-bun today, and Louis supposes that it would look very chic, but the fact that it's tied with a neon green scrunchie and she can make out a random piece of food stuck in the tufts of red hair by his ear lowers the hairstyle from the level of Disgruntled Hipster that Spends Hours Making Sure that They Look Like They Don't Give a Fuck to one of a Possibly Homeless Man that Doesn't Have the Energy to Give an Actual Fuck. He looks at something on one of the digital screens that's suspended over Louis' shoulder and makes a small sound of content before beaming directly back at her.

"Nope, I'm just scared of needles. And treadmills -- but that's a different (but still totally rational) thing entirely." Ed shrugs then points his pen at Louis. "I hear that you haven't been playing nice with your team, what's up with that?"

"I swear, everyone is acting like we're just a bunch of rambunctious toddlers in our very first pee-wee football league. We all don't have to get along and learn about morals like sportsmanship." Louis makes a bubble with the rapidly-staling piece of gum that she stole from Eco earlier and then pops it. "Besides, I highly doubt that you all want me to 'play nice' with these girls anyways -- unless you want a super awesome mutant lesbian orgy on your hands."

Ed blushes in a grand way that branches all the way from his chin to his ears while he shakes his head at Louis in mock-disapproval. "That's not what I meant, and you know it. I'm just saying you can at least attempt to have a semi-cordial conversation with the girls, or, I don't know, try to learn their names."

"Oh, Edward, I didn't know that you were just like the others," Louis bites. "I know you're probably trying to help me with my benefit in mind, but lemme tell you that in this particular case teamwork does not make the dream work."

"You know that I am a doctor and I can easily poison you if you get on my bad side, right?"

"At least I know that it won't be death by lethal injection," Louis shrugs, eying the needle and barking out a quick laugh when Ed's face goes pale from the thought of it.

"Why are you so afraid to open up to these girls?" Ed asks once he (finally) regains a little bit of composure. "Are you scared that your cancer will come back and that you'll die and break their hearts after you get to know them?"

Daaammn Ed, back at it again with the extremely perceptive observations, she thinks bitterly before shaking her head. "That seems like a very unlikely but noble thought for my sick mind to come up with. And, seriously, what's up with how everyone here is so unabashed about trying to pry into my private life? Like, what's the point of reading a book if everything about the main character is explained before the exposition even starts? I am a girl that's wrapped up in questionable choices and mysterious traits, and I would like to keep it that way."