Chapter 4

Katlyn's second day at the precinct was rather uneventful. She was on patrol duty with one of her fellow officers for the first half of the day. The second half was spent shadowing Sgt. Brooks as he went around interrogating civilians regarding a case he was working on. She stood next him and watched the way he worked. That was the whole point of Phase One. Learn from your FTO and his techniques. She watched how tactfully he questioned people and also avoided giving away too much about the case to the individuals. 

Just like that, the week went by. One week, and she had already learnt so much.Her FTO Coordinator collected the last evaluation from Sgt. Brooks. Her eval results would be given at the end of this phase. She hoped she'd done well enough. She was tensed, but on the other hand, she was glad the week was over. She hadn't been able to spend much time with Marie since she was at the precinct most of the time and Marie was working on her assignment. With Friday finally here, Katlyn was relieved to be able to have a night off and catch up with her friends.

At seven on the dot, Katie stepped into the locker room to get changed. She was supposed to be meeting Marie and Nick in thirty minutes. They were bringing some friends along too, so Katie hoped it would be a really good night. She needed it after the long week she had endured. They had zeroed down on one of the pubs down the road, 'The Brew House' or something of that sort. After a swift shower, Katie began rummaging through her duffel bag for clothes. Under ten minutes, Katie was dressed and heading to the elevator. Once she got there, she noticed one of the senior officers waiting by the lift as well. It was Officer Mallory, the one the new recruits had heard so much about. He graduated from the top of his class, turned out to be one of the best officers of his batch and he caught a group of people involved in child trafficking and put them behind bars. He almost made it all look easy. Everyone at NYPD training camp was in awe of him, as was she. The clicking of her heels brought his attention to her. She noticed from the corner of her eye that he was taking in her appearance. Who wouldn't? She looked like a fiery dressed in black leather pants, black platform boots, a deep mauve blouse and a brown leather jacket. His watchful gaze made Katie shift her weight from one foot to another. Once the lift arrived, he held it open and let her through first.

"You're one of the new recruits right?" he said. His tone was authoritative but calming at the same time. "Yes sir, I am. Officer Katlyn Coleman. And you are the legendary Detective Mallory! It's such a pleasure to meet you Sir."Katlyn said, trying not to showcase her excitement. A firm handshake was exchanged. His hands were soft, rather than calloused, much to her surprise. "Please, just call me George. It was a pleasure to meet you as well Katlyn. I'll see you around." Officer Mallory said as he held the door open once again, waiting for Katie to exit first. "The pleasure was all mine Officer Mallo- I mean, George." she said sheepishly. They waved goodbye and parted ways.

Two hours later..

CHUG! CHUG! CHUG!

The chanting faded away as Katie downed an enormous mug of beer with seconds to spare, beating her opponent Ricky Manson, fair and square. Cheers broke out around them as Ricky bowed his head in defeat. The crowd went wild as Katlyn climbed atop the bar and broke out into a victory dance. Ricky helped her climb back down after she displayed her insane dance moves to the entire bar. She swung her arm around his shoulder and said "Never challenge me again, Mr. Manson. My tremendous ego will make sure it beats you." He simply shook his head and laughed while the rest of the group booed at him for loosing to a girl. They all moved back to their table and began chattering among themselves.

Katie looked around and smiled. The last time she'd had this much fun was back in senior year, spring break. It was wild back then because Marie was there and it was wild today because of Marie. She really knew how to get a party started. On her right, she watched Marie talking to, or rather flirting with one of Nick's friend. She was a tad bit too intoxicated to remember his name. It was Josh or John or something like that. She made a mental note to ask Marie about it the next morning. Seated next to them was another friend of Nick's. Ricky Mason, the one she beat, a couple of minutes ago. He had his arm wrapped around Melissa, one of Marie's work colleagues. Next to Katie was Nick himself. She watched him as he took a swig of his beer, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down. His chiseled jaw and toned body led her to believe that he was crafted to be among the gods. The lilac shirt he had on really brought out the tan. Katie watched on as he had an animated conversation with Marie about the basketball playoffs. All of a sudden his gaze shifted an landed on Katlyn. He'd caught her staring at him and she was more than embarrassed. But intoxicated Katlyn had no idea how to portray shame, so she giggled instead. Nick simply shook his head and laughed, taking the glass of peach schnapps from her hands and placed it on the table.