Chapter Two

So that was the reason, everyone thought that Jack's memory was so good because of the trauma he went through and that it would not be something ones mind would dismiss so easily. Jack however, believed it to be a gift from the Thames, a gift that would one day allow him and his family to have a great life.

"What is it mother?" Jack asked as he reached the bottom of the stairs.

"I need you to go to the market with your brother and sister," Mrs Homely replied. She was a stout woman, who, beneath the mud and scars of poverty was fair of face and kind. Not that many could see behind the filth of poverty, but Jack could.

"Yes, mother, where are those two then?"

"Out in the garden waiting," Mrs Homley replied. "Hurry back for dinner now won't you! Oh and don't talk to strangers. Oh, and stay away from that river!"

Most parents would say that Mrs Homley was being over concerned, for it was common knowledge for children that the river was dangerous and they should not go near it no matter what. Yet, Jack's fascination with the river often meant that he would go down to the path beside it and kick his feet in the murky water. Not a very sensible thing to do especially in winter, for not only was the river rife with disease, it was also deathly cold.

"Hurry up slow coach!" called Paul.

Jack ran out into the front garden.

"Sorry," Jack panted.

Paul and Sarah were twins and five years older than Jack. They were also much bigger than him. The two shared the same raven hair and dark brown eyes and like their mother, would have been good looking, were it not for the filth of poverty.

"Don't just stand there, Jack get a move on! Mother needs this milk in time for dinner you know!"

"I know,"

Sarah and Paul took hold of one of Jack's hands each as they didn't want him wandering off, for Jack was a curious child and they headed out into the busy streets of London.

They crossed the road with care, for just last week they had witnessed a young man almost get knocked over by one, something that made them a little frightened of crossing the streets. After crossing, they too a well-known shortcut down an ever darkening alleyway where most of the homeless people and criminals resided lived. But Sarah, Jack and Paul were okay, for most of the criminals only mugged wealthy people, or people with food, which is why on the way back they would take the longer route.

When they exited the alleyway, they came out into a very busy street. Everywhere people were rushing about their business, the three of the m had to be careful not to be knocked over, but they had a lot of practice, for most of London was like this and as one grew older they got used to it.

The shop they were looking for was very small and shabby and was owned by a cheery man named Albert Grunt that was until he died of cholera several months ago and left the shop to his not so cheery wife Betty. She was not a kind-hearted woman and she despised children, so much so that nobody beneath the age of twelve would be allowed to enter her shop. So whilst Paul and Sarah went inside, Jack stayed outside the shop and waited.

He passed the time by looking out into the streets at the passers by. None of them were familiar, though Jack wished some of them were. He didn't like being around strangers. So he looked to the alleyway through which he and his siblings had just come through. There he saw some of the homeless people he knew, he felt so sorry for them. He would have been terrified if he had to live on the streets, what with all of the nasty people that lurked after dark.

Jack continued to look in the alleyway and suddenly, he saw somebody emerge from it. He didn't know who it was at first, only that he was a man and that he was very thin and as he came out of the alley, Jack could see that he was also very pale.