Chapter Three

Princess Kyler paced around her room, fear piercing through her heart and stomach. The coronation was today, and the wedding was an hour after it. She didn't want to marry Jacobi.
She didn't. At all.
Kyler stopped as her maids ushered her into her fitting room, before putting her in a flowing strapless silver dress that shimmered in the light. She looked down at it and cringed. The dress was cleavage galore, with her bust pressed up against the fabric. At least it wasn't nearly as slutty as the dresses her cousin Lady Evangeline, on her mother's side, wore. Vange bothered her completely; her attitude towards Kyler was horribly sweet, her words razors beneath a layer of sugar. She was the kind of person who would go well with Sir Derik, a cousin on her father's side. She shook her head to clear it and let her maids prepare her face, putting pale brown and tan eyeshadow on her eyelids along with dark brown eyeliner with mascara that made her thick lashes look longer than they actually were. She winced as they pulled her hair into a tight bun, with thin strands framing her face. No crown was placed atop her head today; the crown of the queen would belong to her soon.
~~~~
Kyler walked out down the aisle between the hundreds of associates, counsellors, and advisors standing to watch her become the next queen. There were also many guards; the queen couldn't get assassinated before she even had a chance to rule the country. She felt the sweat collecting on her upper lip, and resisted the urge to run. Being a ruler was not her passion. As she stepped up to stand in front of everyone, and she meant everyone, since there was a camera crew recording it and broadcasting it live to the kingdom, to everyone who was watching. She barely listened as the corona listed the traditional terms and vows, before the crown was placed atop her head and the staff was put into her hands. She nodded, before turning to the clapping crowd of people, her supporters, now her advisors and no longer her father's. They would influence every decision of hers for the rest of her life, she realized.
After the ceremony, Kyler walked around shaking hands with the people who had worked with her father for years, who she'd grown up knowing.
Evangeline walked up, and Kyler almost blushed at the atrocity her cousin was wearing. Evangeline's hair was pulled up in a series of braids woven together to make a bun, and she was wearing a dark magenta dress that showed every possible inch of her cleavage. It went to her ankles, where her feet were strapped into tan high heels. "Oh my, Kyler! You look absolutely incredible!" Evangeline said, her voice sickly sweet. "Thank you. You may address me as Your Majesty, or Queen Kyler, if you please." The new queen said calmly, her voice authoritative. "My apologies, Majesty." Evangeline said, her voice suddenly cold. "If you would excuse me, I believe Sir Nathaniel is calling me." She said, turning and walking away, the slit in her dress revealing most of the skin on her left leg. Kyler sighed and turned away, almost too exhausted for the wedding coming within the next few hours.
~~~~
Queen Kyler had no one to walk her down the aisle. Instead of her father, her teacher, Professor Edwards, walked her down. She'd known him since she'd gained the ability to walk, and had bonded with him ever since, feeling like he was an uncle. As the music played, she began walking down the aisle, towards her to-be husband, her new future.
Her doom.
She had been changed into a white wedding dress with beautiful lace straps. The dress was pretty modest, going only a little past her collarbone, and flowed down to her feet, where she was wearing white two-inch heels, keeping her tall but not extremely huge. Her hair was braided down the back, nude colored makeup that made her look naturally beautiful spread across her eyes.
She stood in front of Jacobi, listening to the priest speaking of vows, sacrifices, and affections. All of which she did not want to have towards Jacobi. Then came the time.
"Sir Jacobi Samuel Ale, do you take this women, Queen Kyler Elizabeth Stewards, as your wife, through sickness and health, through love and pain, until death do you part?" The priest asked, his voice too cheerful for my liking.
"I do." Jacobi said, looking down at the queen with a rare sign of affection crossing his face. Now it was Kyler's turn, and she swallowed the tremor she knew would be in her voice.
The priest turned his gaze to her, and she gave a tiny gulp. It was her turn, the last chance to turn away and reject Jacobi. But somehow, she couldn't.
"Queen Kyler Elizabeth Stewards, do you take this man, Jacobi Samuel Ale, as your husband, through sickness and health, through love and pain, until death do you part?" He asked. Kyler nodded. "I do." She said, feeling a chill run up her spine. "Then by the power invested in me, I proclaim you as husband and wife!" The priest called out loudly. "You may kiss the bride." He said, turning his gaze to Jacobi, who was gazing at me intently. She didn't flinch as Jacobi leaned in, pressing his lips softly against hers. It surprised Kyler that he didn't take an advantage of being given permission to kiss the queen. "Along with that, Sir Jacobi shall be crowned as Prince Consort of Norden!" The coroner announced, stepping forward.
As Jacobi took the vows of being a ruler and promising to rule with nobility and grace, Kyler stared at the nobles, her heart sinking. She did not want Jacobi to rule at her side. The crown was placed upon his head, and in that moment, he became the prince consort.
She let out a small yelp as Jacobi picked her up bridal style, and began carrying her back to the palace, where all their stuff was moved into the queen and king's suites. Kyler let out a breath, deciding the rest her cheek against Jacobi's shoulder in defeat. She could tell that he couldn't contain his smile, the happiness radiating off of him.
And in that moment, she knew.
Jacobi really, truly did love her.