1. Chapter 1 ( The calm )

I do not own Twilight or the characters of the book, that honor belongs to Stephenie Meyer..

'If you are looking for a part-time job, Bella, you can work in the store with me.' He looked at her expectantly. 'My family owns it.'

Bella smiled to him politely.

'No thank you.'

She could see the disappointment clearly on his face, although her answer shouldn't really be a surprise. Her family had all the money in the world. Why would she want to work in a store with Mike Newton? She could not escape him at school, but she would be damned if she let him get to her outside of school. You would think that he would have given up by now. Most of the time she was found next to Edward and it was as clear as daylight to the whole school they were an exclusive couple.

Mike kept chatting to her about inconsequential things and Bella let her thoughts drift. In her mind she saw a moonless night and a group of wolves running with her through the forest. The stars twinkled brightly and she could almost feel the wind blow playfully through her hair. She let go of her wild side and felt the freedom of the forest run through her veins. The wolves ran excited around her. She jumped on one of their backs, spread her arms and let the speed take her.

'Hey, are you listening to me?!'

Bella snapped out of her daydream. Mike looked at her with a slightly irritated look. She sighed.

'Of course, Mike, you were talking about our English teacher and how he is better than the one we had last year.'

He was clearly surprised that she had caught his words, but he was quick to make amends. His puppy-dog stare was twice as big when he looked at her apologetically with his baby blues. Bella wished she was tough enough to just let him think she wasn't listening. Maybe he would leave her alone then. He began another string of conversation, when the bell rang.

Thank God! She thought almost aloud. Although she was practiced in keeping up appearances now, talking socially with humans still wasn't her best quality. Liam had been the only exception to that rule.

She picked up her stuff and got up. Of course Mike followed her outside. He wasn't going to let her rest until she was in the company of one or more of the Cullens. Lucky for her she was saved quickly by an impatient Alice waiting for her in the hallway.

'Alice!' She greeted happily. Mike drifted off disappointed.

Alice took her arm.

'I saw you were bothered by Newton again, so I thought I would save you a little bit earlier. Newton is lucky Edward is so good at self-control or he would have lost his head a long time ago.' Alice chuckled with her own statement.

'Sometimes I wish I could just freeze him and leave him somewhere for a few hours or days.' Bella admitted with a wishful sigh.

Alice laughed.

'I know, for awhile it was a distinct possibility for the future.'

Bella looked at her shocked. She would never really do it, would she?

'Oh, don't be so shocked, sweetie. It flicked into the future only for a second. You would never abuse your power in that way.'

'Sad, but true.' Emmett joined the conversation and laughed at her when she gave him a look.

'If you weren't such a spoil sport, little sister, you could have so much fun with your powers.' He gave her a little nudge, which almost shoved her into the lockers.Would Emmett ever grow up? She wondered.Where was Edward when she needed him?Alice pulled her back to her side.