Act II, Scene 2

Dmitri (hiding in the bushes, unseen by Amnisty, but seen by the audience) What is that light coming from the window on the second floor? It is bright, but it does not compare to the light that is my Amnisty. She is more beautiful than the moon. There is my love, Amnisty! I wish she knew how deep my love was for her. She is speaking, yet I am unable to hear the wondrous words that are coming from her lips. Yet, this I shal not fret, her eyes are speaking just the same. I will answer what they are saying; this is too bold a movement for she is not speaking to me. Her eyes have been asked to twinkle in place of the stars that had to take their leave. What if her eyes were the sky, and the stars were in her head? Her cheeks would outshine the stars the same way the sun outshines a candle. If her eyes were the night sky, the birds would sing, because they would think it was day. I wish I were that pencil that she presses against her lips in thought, so that I could touch those lips.

Amnisty (sighing) Oh, my!

Dmitri (to himself) She speaks! Oh, speak again, my beautiful. You are as glorious as any angel tonight. You shine like a light above me, like a messenger angel that makes us mortal men fall upon our backs and stare up at the sky, watching you and your kin soar above us.

Amnisty (unaware of Dmitri's presence) Oh Dmitri, Dmitri, why must you be Dmitri? Forget about being the Crowned Prince and renounce your title. But, if you won't give up your title, swear your love to me and I will leave the rebel movement and turn my back upon my father and his people.

Dmitri (to himself) Should I let her continue to speak, or should I let my presence be known?

Amnisty (still unaware of Dmitri's presence) It is only your title that is my enemy. You would still be you if you were not the Crowned Prince. What make you royalty? It is only your blue blood, not your soul or morals or anything that makes you who you are. What does a title even mean? Is it not anything more than another name? Something to call a person? Would you not be the same if you heald another title, or no title at all, or if you were part of the rebel movement? Give up your title and take me instead.

Dmitri (coming out of the bushes, still hidden by the shadows, now speaking to Amnisty) I believe you, call me your love and I will renounce my title and become like you, without any title. From here on, I will no longer be the Crowned Prince of Absalom.

Amnisty (Shocked by the unknown voice, looking up from her drawing and down to the garden below her) Who's down there? Why are you hiding and listening to my private thoughts? Are you aware of who this house belongs to?

Dmitri I do not know who to say I am because my title is you enemy and you will know it by my name. I hate what I have been born into and who I am to become. If I had the Royal Seal with me now, I would destroy it for you.

Amnisty I haven't heard you speak even a hundred words, but I recognise your voice. Are you not Dmitri, the Crowned Prince of Absalom?

Dmitri I can be nither if you wish me not to be.

Amnisty How did you find me and end up in my garden? Why have you come, do you know who my father is? If anyone finds you here, they will not hesitate to use you to the advantage and against you father.

Dmitri The wings of the Goddess of Love carried me here. The fear can not keep me from you. My love is stronger than all obstacles.

Amnisty If you are seen, you will be captured and tortured, then used as a bargaining chip against your father.

Dmitri A foul look from you would be worse than twenty years of torture. A kind look from you would make me invisible to their torture.

Amnisty I'd do anything for them not to know about you being here.