Chapter Nineteen

Mei sat on the ground near the main road, her eyes closed and arms crossed. She was grieved with the loss of Soushi, and again was surprised by his actions. Soushi always surprised her with his knowledge, and how fast he could catch on. So he knew all along of Osamu's ideas, about Certo. Mei opened her eyes and looked up at the others. Kazuma was leaning against a tree, his expression blank, and Taichi was sitting on a rock with his arms crossed staring into the ground, his expression full of irritation. The samurai were sitting with their backs to each other, and the depressing mood hanging over them made Mei feel guilty to where she had to look away. Once again, she had failed to protect them. Mei cursed herself for being weak, even for existing. Since the power of the demon existed, it had caused Osamu to go crazy with the lust for power. Mei remembered what Osamu wanted and she gritted her teeth together as she remembered it. There's only one other way he could release Certo without my power, Mei thought. And that's through a blood oath.

Mei tightened her hands into fists, knowing they had little time before Osamu made the oath. As power hungry as Osamu was, Mei knew he would take this chance to summon him, and create a world of his own. Certo was a vicious, blood-lusting demon deity, with the body of a lion, the face of a wolf and a snake for a tail. Mei had only seen the beast once in her mothers' memories, and it was not something she would want to see again. Think of all the lives it will claim, Mei thought with a shudder. Mei looked up again at everyone and saw none of them had moved a muscle since they came towards the road to get out of sight from the capital. Taking a breath to calm herself, Mei stood up and started walking down the road. Kazuma looked at her and Taichi jumped to his feet at her movement. The samurai casually looked over as she walked by them. She started down the road and then headed off into the bushes, her mind made up of what she was going to do.

"Where do you think you are going?" Kazuma said as he grabbed her arm and pulled her back into him. Mei looked at him and saw Taichi and the samurai were behind them. Mei looked up into Kazuma's eyes. She narrowed them as she looked down at the ground, completely infuriated.

"All of you may be done with this fight, but the war is hardly won. I'm not about to sit around and watch Osamu summon Certo."

"Certo?!" Kazuma and Taichi said dismayed. Kalik walked forward, looking from Mei to Kazuma.

"Who is Certo?" Kalik asked as he looking at them curiously. Taichi exchanged a glance with Kazuma before looking at Kalik.

"Not a person, that's for sure," Taichi spat out. "He's an old demon deity, since the ages when demons preyed upon humans. Mei's great grandfather looked down on that practice and said it was not the demons who should determine whether the humans are fit for life. He sealed Certo in an abyss in order to prevent any more death." Kalik's face paled as Kaito stepped up.

"And you're saying Osamu wants to release this thing?" Kaito asked nervously.

"Which is why he desired my soul," Mei muttered, as she lowered her eyes to the ground. "He now is a king of shadows. He commands the darkness, and nothing attracts Certo more than someone who has lost their soul to darkness. My soul was to be an offering to awaken Certo, since I am from the Desani house."

"But we have nothing to fear since he wasn't able to steal your soul," Kalas said confidently. "So why are you so worked up?" Mei said nothing but glared at Kalas, silently cursing him for the question. 

"The blood oath," Kazuma said looking down at Mei. Mei finally freed her hand from Kazuma's grasp and continued walking. Kazuma and Taichi seemed to understand; they silently followed her down the road. The samurai, however, were still confused about what was happening.

"What the hell is the blood oath?" Takashi asked as they began to chase after Mei. Mei spun around, tired and irritated with all the questions.

"Why not try using that brain of yours?" she snapped angrily. "It's obvious Osamu is going to make a pact in blood with Certo in order to summon him from the abyss. I already said he commands the darkness. Once that happens, you'll have a lot more to deal with than hunting demons. He's sealing his fate with Certo; that's the blood oath."