3 - Close Encounter

Chapter 3

There's always something so soothing about waking up to the Black Lake water gently lapping up against the windows in the Slytherin girl's dormitory.

I hugged the silver-embroidered bedspread closer to my body and stretched out my arms and legs. I closed my eyes gain. If I could just go back to sleep for a few minutes--

The emerald green curtains on my four poster bed were suddenly wrenched back, startling me.

"Rise and shine!" Olivia said. "Do you know what today is? Today is Friday. Last day before the weekend!"

I considered chucking one of my green throw pillows at her head. "Fabulous," I murmured groggily.

"So how was detention with Snape and Malfoy?" Olivia asked later at the breakfast table, giggling.

"Rotten. Scrubbed cauldrons with tooth brushes until Snape could see his reflection in them."

"Don't know why he'd want to," Tony remarked.

That sent the both of us into fits of laughs.

On Friday's we had Potions with the Gryffindors after lunch.

"Today, class, you will be working on brewing the Oculus Potion with assigned partners, from different Houses."

At that announcement the entire classroom groaned.

"Olivia White and Neville Longbottom."

"Hermione Granger and Vincent Crabbe."

"Blaise Zabini and Parvati Patil."

The list went on and on.

"Katherine Strathmore and Seamus Finnigan."

"So the instructions here say to shake and add ground the unicorn horn till the potion turns green," I said. "Then stir till its purple, add water till its red..."

We completed most of the instructions up until it said to "Heat till it turns purple" when I got up to put the extra materials back.

Malfoy, who had been sitting in front of me while working with Lavender Brown, turned around to see how our group was coming, as I got up to put away the wormwood.

"Uh, Finnigan," Malfoy said cautiously. "I would turn off the heat now."

I hurried back to the cauldron. The potion was now a dark purple, verging on black, the mixture boiling and steam rising from it.

"Turn it off before it explodes!"

Seamus and I fumbled with the heating selections and when I realized it was going to blow any second, I dove under Malfoy's desk.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

I waited until the bang's stopped till I crawled out from under the desk, my dark curls a mess all around my face.

Malfoy smirked at me. "Snape was right. You really are awful at Potions." I smacked him upside the head (earning a great deal of laughs from the Gryffindors) as Snape turned around condescendingly, clicking his tongue, to mark down our grade -- presumably Troll.

Seamus's face was coated in a thick layer of ash and black dirt, and his hair stood on end as if he had just been electrocuted. I groaned. This was gonna be a long year of Potions.

Later that night, I was waiting in an empty classroom hovering over my Potions cauldron and fervently thumbing through the brewing instructions.

I heard Malfoy come in, but didn't look up from the Potions textbook.