Colors and Inventions

Etheodra's father was taken by surprise at the sudden interest his daughter started to show in his work, and in the build and function of the amplifier. But it was not an unpleasant surprise, not at all, and he welcomed it with every question. He hadn't seen her being so interested in anything since she was a child, and he took her to the planetarium to hear about the stars. She had always liked stars, but there wasn't much to know or to learn about them nowadays, as everything that could be had been discovered, and there hadn't been any new findings for years. The interest in the subject had declined, and the planetarium had been turned into an auditorium for the school. It had crushed his daughter, to lose this little isle of peace and treasures of knowledge and wonder, he knew that. But this only added to his satisfaction as it had indeed turned out to be a good idea to lend her the keys. They always searched for new people in his field, and there were a lot of jobs she was able to get once she graduated University.

Those thoughts of her father were certainly lucky for Etheodra, as he was willingly answering any of her questions, explaining how the machine worked and what parts were needed and how they were to be put together.

An idea had formed in her mind and as she listened intently and carefully, new ways of building a smaller, more efficient, and still functioning machine came to her, though she was a little wary of the details. But one could always try.

In the following week, she juggled her family life, the research for her lecture, school test papers and her more recent projects of chatting with Thomas and building a machine. At times she would sit in her room at night, screwing metal plates together while reading information of the brain waves or the fog. Other times she would sit on her desk, putting chips into their frames and reciting stuff for the oncoming exam, which ended up looking like she had been possessed, as she was mumbling incomprehensible words sooner or later.

Eth also learned a lot from Thomas. She had so far not only learned about his planet and the way they lived over there, but also what techniques they used to communicate and, more importantly, that their life on her planet was indeed not as perfect as she thought it was. But he had also told her about war and greed and misery and religion, which were all fascinating things, and sometimes scary. Yet again, she had learned a lot of good stuff, too. Those strange cultures and languages, and even Tom's favorite dish. It was something called Macaroni and Cheese, and she had to laugh until her stomach ached as he desperately tried to explain how it tasted.

„It tastes, you know, like cheese. And pasta."

She had cocked her head, and raised an eyebrow. „And should that tell me anything?"

„What do you even eat?" He had replied. „It's... creamy? With a spicy, cheesy taste? And pasta.... it's made out of flour and eggs and water, you should see if you can make it at yours."

„I'd like to try." She mused. „What's flour?"

„It's made out of wheat... oh... you don't have this, do you? It's a plant."

Eth sighed. She would have really liked to have plants here by now. Having heard from them, they seemed like they could be anything. Beautiful, medicine, even food.

She explained what they ate as best as she could, but Thomas did not like the idea of her nutrition.

„Does it even taste like anything?" He had asked, showing distaste at the sheer thought.

„Most of the time not really. Not like anything you'd have trouble describing." Eth wondered whether anything could taste good at all that you had trouble describing, but he sure seemed to think it, and she trusted his taste.