April 12

Alden was still not talking to her. She had sent him several text messages but they went unanswered. She figured he won't answer her calls either so she did not even try.

She still had three things left on her list but with the way things are going, it looks like she won't be able to finish everything on time. If this happens, they won't have anything for the 9th monthsary celebration and Jenny Ferre will kill her.

Maine decided to call her Ate Pat and ask for reinforcement. She took out her phone, scrolled through her contacts, pressed the call button, and waited for the call to come through.

"Hello, Meng?," came Pat's voice from the other end of the line.

"Ate Paaaaaat...," she whined.

"O, anong problema?"

Pat knew that Maine rarely calls before 8 AM so when she does, something was up.

"Kasi si Alden hindi ako pinapansin. May tatlo pa na hindi namin nagagawa," she informed.

"Naku, patay tayo diyan. Alam na ba ni Ma'am Jenny?"

"Hindi pa. Gusto ko kasi gawan ng paraan muna bago ko sabihin na wala na talaga."

"Tatlo na lang ba? Sayang naman kung hindi matatapos," Pat said while shaking her head.

"Oo nga, Ate Pat. Pero ayaw akong kausapin talaga eh. Grabe din pala magtampo 'tong si Tisoy."

Pat thought for a moment then said, "Ganito na lang. Sunduin mo si Alden sa Broadway mamaya pagkatapos ng Eat Bulaga. Kakausapin ko si Sam at Mama Ten ngayon. Tapos diretso na kayo sa PAL office. Dun yung orientation d ba?"

"Opo. Sige po, update niyo na lang po ako if may changes. Salamat."

They said goodbye and ended the call.

*****

Sam, Mama Ten, and Alden were huddled backstage, with Alden receiving instructions from Sam regarding the change in his afternoon schedule. Apparently, he had to go to a Pilots Orientation Program at the PAL office. This, Sam said, is in preparation for a TV guesting.

"Sinong kasama ko pupunta dun?," he asked Sam.

"Kayong dalawa ni Maine, kasi sabay yun sa FA Orientation Program na kailangan din niya."

"Shit," he cursed, "magdadala na lang ako ng sasakyan. Dun na lang kami magkita."

"Andito na si Maine, uy. Sinundo ka," Sam insisted.

"Hayaan mo siya. Ako na magsasabi."

He left Sam and Mama Ten without a word. He was on his way to his van when he saw Maine waving at him from her car. He walked toward her.

"Kita na lang tayo dun," he said.

"Sinundo na nga kita, o. Sabay na lang kasi tayo," Maine was doing her best to keep herself from crying.

But he wasn't listening. He was busy tinkering with his cellphone.

"Uy, Alden, ano ba? Kinakausap kita."

"Huwag na kasi makulit, dun na tayo magkita."

And he walked away.

Maine wanted to throw her shoes at him-but she wasn't able to bring an extra pair.

*****

The orientation program for both Pilots and FAs were held in the same room, one after the other. Maine was taking down notes during the FA part. Although they were seated at the opposite ends of the room, she saw that Alden was not even concentrating.

When the orientation was over, they both went out of the door. Alden did not even bother to glance in her direction. He just went straight ahead.

Maine knew she had to make little sacrifices for her 9th monthsary plans to be successful but she can't help feeling a bit hurt by Alden's actions.

She was at the parking lot, she saw Alden getting ready to leave, his van's engine turned on. She detached several pieces of paper from her notebook and marched toward his van. She knocked at his window and he rolled it down.

"Bakit?," he asked, eyebrows furrowed.

"Yan," she said, shoving the pieces of paper toward him because she had enough.

"Ano 'to?"

"Notes nung orientation for pilots, nag take down ako para sa'yo," she said while walking away, "baka lang naman kasi balang araw, gusto mong tuparin ang pangarap mo."

He did not see the tears streaming down her face.

*****