Chapter 2

———
The dark haired boy shuffles through his coat pockets, and pulls out a box of matches and a cigarette. He swipes the match against the box in one swift motion, and lights the cigarette between his teeth. His eyes flutter slightly, his long eye lashes brushing his cheeks.

"Pill," the dark haired boy says, pausing to blow out a puff of smoke, and I cough slightly from the abnormally large cloud. "You're wounded, dear."

I tense up slightly, slowly touching my head and my hair. My hair's wet, and when I look down at my hand, I see blood coating my finger tips. I stare down at the red droplets in shock.

"Oh m-m-m-my! Pill, you can fix 'er right up, right?" Rabbit turns to Pill nervously.

Pill takes an obnoxiously long pause, inhaling and letting the smoke slip out from between his pink lips. "I suppose, yes," he turns to me, "Lay down on this here bed of leaves. Rabbit, fetch me a pail of water from the stream."

Rabbit scampers off, tripping over his feet slightly and picking up his step again. I do as told, slightly afraid, lying back and taking a deep breath.

Pill kneels beside me, reaching into his coat and pulling out a blood-stained rag. He reaches for my forehead, in which my hand jolts outward and grasps his wrist, stopping him mid-movement. He looks into my eyes with a piercing glare; which is strange, because he's so silent and calm.

"I-I..." I clear my throat nervously, slowly letting go of his wrist. "That doesn't seem very clean, is all."

"Clean as can be, my dear." Pill replied, the same emotionless tone in his silky voice and facial expression. "Floral blood. It's entirely the best out there."

I furrowed my brows in confusion. "Floral blood? Is that... is that some kind of creature here?"

He cocks his head to the side slightly. "Flowers. Do you not have them where you live?"

I clear my throat, nodding. "Well yes, I have flowers, but they don't... bleed."

Pill blows a puff of smoke into the air above me, causing me to cough slightly. "It has healing, cleaning properties. I had to kill a 7 foot one for this."

I narrow my eyes slightly, but he gently pushes me back onto the "bed" of leaves and he lifts my hair away from my forehead. I hear a stressed sigh release from Pill's lips as he glances at whatever wound is on my skin, and my heart beats faster in anticipation and anxiety.

Rabbit scrambles over to us, obviously struggling with a heavy metal bucket filled with water. He sets it down violently on the ground beside me, splashing a few drops of water onto my dress.

As soon as he sees my forehead, Rabbit combs his hands through his hair nervously. "Oh, no no no no, I told you Mad! I told you! Red's got 'er!" Rabbit drawled nervously, shaking his head.

"Excuse me, what is going on?!" I demand, a bit irritated. I attempt to sit up, but Pill pushes me down again more aggressively this time.

He dips the bloody hankerchief in the pail of water, and gently wipes it across my forehead. I can feel it sting where the wound must be, but I bite my tongue.

"There we go, mademoiselle. All cleaned up," Pill states calmly, wringing out the water onto the grass. I wonder why Rabbit got a whole bucket of water for such a small task.

I get up quickly, taking a step back. Everyone is staring at me; Rabbit, Dee, Pill, even Hatter, if he could see. I walk over to Rabbit, irritated. He looks worried and anxious, his eyebrows curved upward and his round eyes fearful.

"You! What do you mean Red's got me?" I question, placing my hands on my hips.

Rabbit repeatedly opens and closes his mouth to speak, as if he doesn't know what to say; or how to talk.

Hatter steps in, placing his hand on Rabbit's shoulder. "I'm afraid you're a captive, deary. The captive." Hatter sighs, placing his hand on his chest and tilting his head downwards as if to look at the grass.

"Captive? What are you talking about? I'd like to shut off this game, now. I want to speak to my mother." I say, crossing my arms.

"Game? What on earth 're you talkin' about?" Dee suddenly asks, raising a brow. His arms are crossed as well, almost mimicking me.

"Be quiet, both of you. I think we all knew there would come a day this would occur. Mind we not speak in riddles?" Pill sighs, getting up from the ground and walking towards me. Everyone seems to be in a close-knit circle surrounding me.

Pill opens his mouth to speak, silent for a moment. "To explain it briefly madam, You're not in a game. You're in Underland, and you're the one unlucky lady who was decided would come here. We've all been taught so for many years. The Red Queen will want to see you. I am afraid in the end, you are going to die."