Chapter 1

Eyes glued to the screen, she felt that nothing existed around her. No more footstep, paper wrinkled or even the phone ringing. She bustled to complete a final evaluation report. She wasn't sure how many reports were now on the corner of her office. She didn't keep the count. After she typed the last words, she saved her work to the appropriate folder and print it. She then inserted it in the file that was on the opposite corner from the other files. Finally finished! She gave a deep sigh, backing her chair. She had Something to be proud of! She was pleased by what she had managed to accomplish during the day.

She rose from her chair to stretch. She wasn't upset that her work is finally finished. Then, she rubbed her temples, closing her eyes. Once again, her work had taken plenty of place. When she put her hands in front of her on her desk, the light sparkled on the small solitaire diamond of her ring. She had a small smile looking at the jewelry. She loved it and watched it often. She didn't imagine a wedding or something of this kind. She just loved watching it.

Rejecting her head backward, her eyes fell on the lights outside. She frowned. Lights? Through the window of her office, she could see the city lights. What time was it? The last time she threw a glance at the clock, her assistant was leaving the office. And it was almost 6 o'clock... Right? She shook her head, discouraged. She again lost the notion of time and now the clock told her how late it was. Almost 10 o'clock, in fact. How had she managed to stay in her office without a single phone call from Jeremy? It wasn't in her boyfriend's habits to let her work too late. She opened her drawer and rummaged in her purse. The surprise could be read on the young woman's face when she saw the number of text messages left by Jeremy and Mary. The ringing of her cellphone was closed. Why no one had tried to reach her directly at her office? She looked up and saw the illuminated button announcing that all calls were transferred to her voicemail. She hid her face in her hands. She had no recollection of having redirect her calls.

The entire office was silent. She could see light from Benedict's office. She knocked gently on the door. He lifted his head towards her and smiled.

"Clara!" he happily said. "I didn't know you were still here. Are you okay?"

"Fine and you? Shouldn't you be back this weekend?"

He sat, shaking his head.

"It was the original plan, but Nathan and I have to go to New York early next week. Emergency meeting."

The young woman hid her surprise. She couldn't remember the announcement of a meeting to be held the following week. Benedict explained Nathan had a new idea and Maurice encouraged the continuation of this idea. The three men would go as soon as possible to meet the assistants. She had a small smile. Surprising that Patricia let him leave the country. Since Nathan had taken over the company, Patricia hated last minutes trips. She wasn't very bad. Employees joked regularly thereon. Especially Benedict. The latter raised his hand with a smile.

"But don't worry," he said in a reassuring tone, "you can go home. We are just testing the waters. I think that you are already doing a lot."

She returned weakly his smile. Fatigue began to weigh heavily on her shoulders. What Benedict just had told her relieved her, but she anticipated calls and future preparation. The new company in New York wasn't operational for a long time. There were a lot of things to do and she knew it. Mr. Astier wished her a good night, specifying that he would see her probably later the next day. Clara nodded, getting away. She massaged her neck upon entering the elevator. She got her cellphone out with a sigh. It was too late to answer to Mary. Her little girl wasn't sleeping a lot, but it probably wasn't worth to prevent more sleep. Even though Thomas was very present, Mary had become a very protective mother. Who would have thought!