Chapter 2

The car stopped in front of the house and Jeremy frowned. Clara was about to ask him if everything was okay, but she thought she also heard Something. They got out of the vehicle, but remained on the sidewalk. From the place where they were, they could hear shrieks and grunts.

"You sure?" Jeremy asked without looking away from the house.

"I already accepted and it's too late to cancel..."

They stared a moment before walking down the aisle to the front door. Discreetly, Jeremy stood behind Clara. The young woman struck hard enough to cover the noises coming from the house. The door suddenly opened and Rose threw herself against Clara, laughing. Thomas greeted them and invited them to enter. Jeremy pointed out to him that the tiara he wore didn't really suit him. Thomas began to blush while removing the plastic thing from his head.

"We had tea before running around," he explained, embarrassed.

"Stop justifying yourself and just admit how much you love your daughter," Mary cut off, joining them in the living room.

After a few platitudes exchanged, they went into the dining room for a drink. Rose ran around, singing a song that Clara didn't know. Her repertoire of songs for children was not very large either. But Mary seemed not knowing it. The girl was only in her world, and she wasn't harassing them. The adults talked quietly until the meal is ready. Clara was very impressed by the culinary prowess of her friend. Jeremy told them about his disaster from the previous day, asking for some advice to Mary.

It was almost eight o'clock when Mary noticed that Rose was fighting to stay awake. And that she was about to lose.

"It's time to sleep," she said as she approached the girl.

Rose struggled slightly. Then Mary offered that Thomas tuck her up, but the child lifted her arms to Jeremy. The latter wasn't very comfortable. Mary made a small sign to her spouse. Thomas took his daughter in his arms, telling her the three of them would go upstairs to pu her to bed. Clara had a little smile while drinking a sip of wine.

"You're not very discreet," she laughed.

"I don't know what you're talking about," Mary answered, pretending ignorance.

"You always do that when you want to talk to me. Something's wrong?"

Mary rose to begin cleaning the kitchen. Clara gave her a hand. Her friend finally told her what bothered her.

"I want another child."

"Are you pregnant?"

Mary shook her head without looking.

"What have you done? And don't try lying to me: I know you too much for that."

"I... I haven't said anything to Thomas, but..."

"Please, Mary, reassure me. You're not trying to "cause" a pregnancy by accident...?"

The young woman hid her face in her hands. Clara gave a deep sigh, shaking slightly her head.

"Don't judge me, please..."

"Why? Thomas is not stupid. Then why not talking to him?"

"I'm afraid that he doesn't want to... And I don't want to take that chance!"

"Except that you have to take it anyway! Would you be able to look at him if you're successful?"

"It would be much easier if you were pregnant too."

Clara drained her glass before shaking her head.

"It's not about me here, but you. Leave me out of your stories, please!"