Shakuni

Who is he?
Brother of Gandhari and brother-in-law of Dhritarastra, king/prince of Gandhar ( now Kandhar in Afghanistan) Shakuni came and lived in Hastinapur to avenge disrespect caused by Bhism.

What is his role in Mahabharata?
Bhism had taken his army to Gandhar, to request Gandhari for Dhritarastra.
Gandhari agreed, but Shakuni and his father wanted to oppose, since Bhism asked her for a blind man,and a representative of Hastinapur's king. But were afraid of his war skills and his army.

To avenge this disrespect, Shakuni vowed to destroy what Bhism had vowed to protect- Hastinapur.

Probably seeing Pandavas as strong and just, he encouraged Duryodhan to kill them and take what was rightfully Pandus- Hastinapur.

This eventually lead to war for Pandavas rights, and in a bigger picture war for good, as
Shakuni had successfully misled his nephew Duryodhan and his brother-in-law that what ever wrong they were doing was actually right.

What was his role before the war?
He was good in dice, and had cheated and forced Pandavas to twelve years of forest stay and one year of hiding.

His earlier attempts to get Bhim killed, all Pandavas burned, not give them any kingdom had failed.

What was his role in the war?
He was not a great warrior.
But tried winning by hook or crook, advising Duryodhan on what moves to take to keep people on his side and defeat enemies easily.
He played a role in killing Abhimanyu.

How did he die?
He made sure that he lived till all Kauravas died, tried to kill Pandavas by acting dead and attacking from behind.
Eventually he died on the before Duryodhan.