Chapter 2: Another Day At Work

Emil's POV

I still couldn't stop thinking about that night and it's been three days.

Out of all people, why me? Why should I be the one to get, somewhat, close to the mafia? This was going to get me in so much trouble.

The licorice I was chewing in my mouth suddenly tasted really bad to eat. I was losing my appetite from that night and that was the only night I enjoyed a good meal right after he left. I feel very uncomfortable and anxious. Thoughts ran in my mind like wildfire. Since I'm, kind of, part of the Cantonese Mafia, I'm getting really scared. I interfered with the wrong person.

Oh god, what am I going to do?

"Emil." I gasped in surprise as my brother slammed his palms on my desk snapping me back into reality.

"What?" I shook my head. "Sorry."

"Is everything alright?" He asked in a concerned tone while maintaining his monotone expression. "You look disturbed for the past three days."

"It's nothing, really." I sighed and rested my chin on the top of my palm. "It's just that I'm stressed from all of these reports I've made."

I was telling a part of the truth so that didn't count as lying. Work has been stressing me out a lot lately ever since more than three heists has occurred this week and ten businessmen found dead this week at different locations in five days. I had to go all over the city for the locations. What shocked me the most that most of the businessmen that were in the scene are all from Europe. Traders to be exact. They weren't traders for weapons though. Most of them were from the medical and culinary fields. Weird.

"Let me know if there's something wrong, I'm always in front of your stall."

"Sheesh, I'm already twenty-two- I'm not a child anymore, Lukas." I groaned.

"Big brother."

"No, now leave me alone..." I sighed. "I've got a lot of work to do."

I leaned against my chair and looked at the air vent above my head. Usually the conditioning doesn't work due to some technical difficulties, but today it did. The cool air touched my skin, made me miss home somehow. It wasn't that cold, but cold enough to make me relax. I took off my coat and sighed.

It's been hot for a few days and I am so glad that the conditioning is up and running.

I closed my eyes. At least I found a moment to relax and take a nap in peace.

I opened two buttons to cool myself down. I started to become more relaxed and a bit drowsy. I propped my feet on top of my desk and sighed.

God this was the sweet life.

Suddenly I heard giggling that disturbed me from my nap. I opened my eye and looked at the culprits. Two of the newest interns. I guess that they didn'y notice that I was awake.

"Yes?" I spoke up making them aware.

They gasped and ran away with red faces. The more this happens here in the office, the more I notice that I'm becoming more like my brother. This wasn't the first time that this happened. It's becoming annoying actually since some mistaken me as Lukas, which is totally great.

I shook my head and looked at the new paper work set on my desk. I sighed. I buttoned up my shirt and rolled my chair back towards my desk.

I noticed something weird on my papers. There was a small red envelope with a Chinese character, the ones I'd see that's given to kids or friends during New Year when I was assigned in the Philippines back then. I always wondered what was in there, besides money.

I grabbed the envelope and opened it. There was a note in it and a smaller package wrapped inside. I unfolded the paper. When I opened it, it wasn't a note. It was a symbol instead, the symbol on Kaoru's neck. The piece of paper was just drawn with black pain with the flower. I didn't know what it meant, but I had suspicions.

I opened the small package. I unfolded it to find a necklace. A simple black necklace with a silver lotus pendant. I turned the pendant over to find Chinese characters. My mouth gaped slightly open. I looked around looking at whoever placed this on my papers.

I looked at my cork board to see a red Post-It.

Welcome,

-

I gulped. I guess that I was officially joining the mafia... More like forced into the mafia.

I wish that I really had more choices in life and think of my decisions carefully before I do anything idiotic and stupid.

Right now, I just want to procrastinate, go on Tumblr, and forget everything.

****

Kaoru's POV

I sat on the window sill of my room and watched the view of the night life of my home.

"先生." One of my guards greeted as he appeared by the door.

(Translation: Sir.)

"Did you send the letter?" I asked him.

"是- I mean..." He switched to English. "Yes sir, I have sent your regards to that boy."

"Good, and keep on practicing." I signaled him to carry on with his duties.

Emil Steilsson, from Iceland, twenty-two years old, news writer at Hong Kong's Grand Crane Studios and their newspaper branch, has an older brother, silver-haired, lavender eyes, a very impressive mental exam, and an average physical exam.

He doesn't really seem special to me. He just looks like another boy from a quiet country, but if my brother became alerted. The noodle house wasn't my first encounter with him. I've encountered him many times at the press or at other noodle houses where I occasionally treat my bodyguards for a meal.

When my older saw his report and picture on the news paper, he immediately gave me an order to keep an eye on that silver-haired boy. I only had basic information about him and nothing else.

If my brother wants him, it means he's more valuable than the money we all hold. More valuable than our firearms and businesses.

Whoever Ice is, I can tell that he's been in this mess since the day he was born.