Chapter One

The Player’s Angel

Chapter One - Falling

 I wish I couldn’t feel

I wish I couldn’t love

I wish that I can stop ‘cause it hurts so much

And I’m the only one that’s trying to keep us together

When all of the signs say that I should forget her

        “I hope you enjoyed the performance, Miss Chloe.” Alice, Chloe’s mom, said to her daughter sarcastically as she crossed her arms at her chest.

        Chloe opened her eyes and straightened up off the white wooden railing of her wraparound porch.  Turning, she faced her furious mother. She had been contentedly listening to her hot neighbor from across the street sing while fixing his little sister’s pink bike. Chloe was well aware that her mom hated to catch her watching Seth Cohen do whatever it was he’d be doing, but Chloe just couldn’t stop. In fact, watching Seth had become her hobby.

        Chloe shrugged her shoulders and smiled sheepishly at her mom. Of course she enjoyed the show; although ‘enjoyed’ would be an understatement. This was Seth Cohen we’re talking about here! And anything that Seth did was magic according to Chloe.

        “Chloe Valerie Spencer, I don’t want to catch you staring at that boy anymore!” Her mom yelled at her. “There is more to life than watching some random guy doing whatever those teenaged boys do nowadays.” She added with a mutter, walking inside and gesturing for Chloe to follow her. Chloe rolled her eyes, pondering the reasons why her mom despised the fact that she liked to watch Seth. Chloe couldn’t stop the thought that obviously the woman had never seen Seth’s striking green eyes, or the way he’d run his fingers through his silky brown hair. Or better yet, when he took off his shirt because of the blistering summer sun and all those deliciously ripped muscles and abs were exposed? – yes, that was a sight worth beholding.

       Oh well, her mom must be blind or something! Chloe thought, flipping her strawberry blonde hair over her shoulder and following her mom inside.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

       Shaking his head, Seth watched Chloe’s retreating back and smirked. He could always feel her gaze on him. He actually didn’t mind at all. It was just another boost to his ever growing ego and he liked it. He had noticed her a few minutes ago listening to him while he was singing so he had purposefully raised his voice. This resulted in Mrs. O’Brian, the old grumpy neighbor next door, to throw her gardening shovel at him and bellow at him, “Put a sock in it... Stupid teenagers.”

        Seth abruptly stopped singing and groaned, rubbing the back of his head where the trowel hit him and glared over at the old woman kneeling in her small flower bed. “Cranky ass old biddy!” He muttered under his breath, annoyed. Seth looked over in the direction of where Chloe had been to see if she saw all that and was snickering at him, but thankfully she was distracted by her mother.

       When Seth looked back to the bike he’s fixing, Chloe glanced one last time at him. Sighing, she turned around and walked into her house. She was hoping that one day he would notice her, which until now had seemed like it would never happen. Since she was ten years old, Chloe loved to watch Seth play around with the neighborhood’s boys. As they grew up, she admired him more and more. Then they were fifteen and though Chloe still enjoyed watching Seth, she started to feel twinges of pain vent through her heart from time to time. And that is because Seth Cohen is a player.