Tea

I pulled on the box. What the hell is in this thing?

I could hear her grunting, feel her pushing the box from the other side, but it wouldn't budge.

I gave it one strong tug, and nearly lost my balance when it slid out of the car.

"Woah-" There was a thud, and then her hand flew up.

"I'm good," She waved.

"Okay so... What the hell is in this box?" I asked as she walked around the car.

She sighed, "My survival kit."

I held up my hands, "Say no more."

We picked up the box, one of us holding each end and carried it toward the apartment. Or at least, we tried to. I heard a quick, "Oh shit!" before her end of the box hit the floor and burst open, her 'survival kit' pouring from it. I set down my end as she sighed and ran a hand through her hair, not even bothering to get up off the ground.

She looked almost ready to cry.

"Are those... books?" I questioned as I made my way to her.

"Uh... Yeah. Survival kit." she chuckled, dryly, before a sniffle. "Sorry, uh... it's just... been a long day."

"No worries. Let's just uh... pick 'em up. The other end of the box is still intact. We'll flip it, pile the books back in, yeah?" I offered her a hand, that she didn't take, and she stood up, took a deep breath, and nodded in agreement. I ignored the incredibly minor blow to my ego, and helped her pick up the books that fell out before turning the box to stand and piling them back into it.

"I think I can carry this one in by myself if you maybe wanna just lead me through the apartment?"

She scratched the back of her neck. "Uhhh... what do you mean, exactly?"

"Um, well I can follow the sidewalk until we get to the door, and then just guide me through the place to where you want the box?"

"Alright, yeah. If you're sure you can handle it."

I squatted down and attempted to lift the box without it tipping over. I honestly thought I had it. That is, until I took a few steps, and the box started to tilt.

"Woah there..." I felt her steady the sides of the box. "You sure you can do this? I don't mind grabbing the other side..."

"No no, I got it. Just gotta... fix my hands here-" I slowly switched the position of my hands, trying to get a better grip on the box. "There. Onward!"

That earned me a laugh. I started walking again, more careful with these steps. When we made it to the door, she asked me just to drop it anywhere in the living room area.

I looked around, "You need any help setting up?"

She put her hands on her hips, "Uh... Nah, I think I can handle it from here. Besides, it's late and I might pass out as soon as you're out the door so..." she shrugged.

I chuckled, "You sure?"

She nodded and reached out her hand, "Arissa."

"Derek." I shook it. "Thanks for helping me finish my cardio."

She laughed, a light-hearted sound, and scratched the back of her neck again. "I uh, should be the one thanking you. I really do appreciate your help." Her hand slid into her pocket. She pulled out her phone, tapped the screen and removed her headphones before placing the device on top of one of the boxes.

"Well, if you ever need it again, I'm not far away. 3C. Don't hesitate." I walked out the door towards the stairs.

"I'll keep that in mind." She said as she leaned in the doorway, arms folded in front of her.

I smiled, standing at the bottom of the steps with one hand on the rail.

"You mean you'll be thinking about me?" I replied cheekily.

She rolled her eyes, but I could swear I saw the hint of a smile there before I said, "Goodnight, 1B," and she began to close her door.

"Arissa?" I started.

She paused, but didn't open the door again. It was only halfway closed.

"Let's go for a tea tomorrow. I know a great place."

She definitely smiled that time. "I'm more of a coffee person. Goodnight, 3C."

The door shut, and I made my way up the stairs, taking two at a time. I reached my apartment, unlocked the door, and locked it again once inside. Making my way to my room to grab some clothes for a shower, I couldn't get her voice out of my head. Her words for some reason kept ringing in my ears.

The water splashed a bit when it hit the shower floor. I pulled off my sweaty clothes, and grabbed a towel from the closet. Once it finally heated enough, I climbed in and just let the water run down my skin.

I closed my eyes, and I could see her smiling. Her laugh echoed in my eardrums. The water splashed when I reached up to rub the sweat off my face and body.

Arissa.

Who was this girl?

--------