Coffee

I sighed as I looked around the plain living room of my new "home." It would definitely be difficult getting used to this, being home alone and all.

I'd obviously need a roommate, that's for sure.

I picked a room, set my stuff by the door, and went back to the car for the mattress and the rest of my things.

I guess it's a good thing it's almost midnight, and no one is out, because now if I happen to fall on my ass, no one will be around to notice.

I stared at the car, and took a deep breath in and out. My headphones were playing the music so low I could barely hear it.

I raised the volume almost all the way, my heart beating in time to Headstrong by Trapt, and began the process of attempting to remove the straps holding my mattress in place on the hood of my car.

As I was sliding the mattress off, I felt eyes on me. I stopped pulling, lowered my music, and yanked out one of my earbuds.

But all I could hear was a little chuckle.

I slowly turned my head and found myself facing a chuckling, very well toned, late night runner.

"Do *chuckle* do you need help?" He gestured to my car.

"Uh... no...?" I scratched the back of my neck.

He raised an eyebrow, "Are you sure?"

"No..." I breathed out, sheepishly.

He rolled his eyes, still smiling, "Here, let me."

He walked over, lifted the mattress off the roof of car, almost effortlessly, and set it on the sidewalk.

Great. Now I feel like even more of a failure.

"Where to?"

"I can take it," I raised my hands to the mattress.

"Or you could let me help?" He cocked his head to one side, eyebrow still raised.

I let my hands fall to my sides, "Uh the last door on the left, then."

I jogged ahead to open the door to my new home, and let him pass through to the room I'd chosen.

"Just um, go ahead and lay it in that corner over there."

He walked in, and laid it in the corner of the room by the window.

"No box spring?"

"No, I uh, didn't have room for it," I scratched the back of my neck again.

He nodded. The door to the other room was wide open from earlier when we filed out of my room. I saw him look in, raise an eyebrow, but he said nothing.

"Do you need help getting the rest of your stuff inside?"

"Um, sure. Why not, right?"

He smiled. Such straight teeth.

"Lead the way."

I walked back out to the car. He followed. And we grabbed box after box, passing each other every time one of us went back for another.

I caught him still at the car when I went back for another box. It was the last one, and I knew exactly what was inside.

He was staring at it, hands on his hips, wondering how to approach such an obstacle.

He pointed. "How did you get that in there?"

I sighed. "Well, it took about ten minutes just to get it to the car, and another five or so to get it in. With help, of course." I snapped my fingers, "I have an idea," I walked around the car. "I'm gonna push the top of the box towards you. You grab it and pull. Then I'll push it from the bottom."

"Got it."

I opened the door on the other​ side of the car, and did what I said I would. I felt him grab the box.

"Ready when you are," He said.

I let out a dry, "Ha!" and started pushing the bottom of the box towards his side of the car.

This should not be this difficult.
--------