Chapter 2

I walked down the old road I always did with Selena when I was younger. The glow from the sunset made everything seem to be magical. I looked down and realized I was in my old church dress. I assumed it was Sunday evening. Selena was munching on an apple she probably got from Mrs. Jennings, her neighbor. 

"So," she murmured between bites, "do you like the new kid? I think her name is Cheyenne." Selena looked me in the eyes waiting for my reply. Her face was full of curiosity.

I thought for a moment before I stated, "I think she's really nice. I mean, she's been hanging out with Kyliee and her group at recess, but I know she's not like them." Kyliee wasn't the nicest little girl in the world. She sure did love to laugh when you found a creative way to do something. It didn't matter to me. She had no imagination whatsoever, so it's not like she could ever think of half of things I thought of.

"Yeah, we really do need to get her away from them," Selena looked down the road and signaled for me to do so as well. 

As we reached the bridge at the end, Selena made her way down the slope and into the creek. 

"Selena!" I exclaimed. "What are you doing?"

"I see something shiny," she explained to me. When she reached it, something happened. Sparkles, butterflies, fairies, beautiful colors formed all around us. I didn't have to live next to Niall anymore, or see Frank daily.I was free from all of it.

I took Selena's hand and she smiled. Onward we went to Wonderland.

I seemed to float off the ground as we ventured through the strange place. It was miraculous! The water glittered all shades of the rainbow. We approached an old house. We couldn't help, but walk inside. An elderly lady greeted us with cookies and hot chocolate.

"Evenin' ladies!" She cheered. She looked really old, but very kind. Her house was small, but it was lovely.

"Isn't this great?!" I turned to look at Selena, but she had vanished. In fact, everything was gone. I was all alone in a dark Forrest. I opened my eyes to see the walls of my room. The clock read 6 a.m.

"Time to face Niall," I thought to myself.

___________________________________________________________

School that day was tough. Niall didn't only take my book, he ripped some pages from it. He was distracting me in English, so I said the wrong answer and got laughed at. This continued for a year and a half. The thing that happened was when we got paired together for a science project. He was forced to come over to my house. He already saw it enough since he lived right next to me.

We were in my bedroom studying the affects the coloring had on the bean plant.

Soil a little discolored. Steam slightly blue. Plant growing at  normal rate.

I didn't understand the point of the experiment, or why Mr. Bradly put me with Niall. He knew we didn't get along at ALL. I looked up from my notebook at Niall for a moment. His gaze met mine and a sly smile crossed his face.

"What's he planning this time?"

"You know, Maya," he started, "I can't help, but notice how pretty you look today."

"Well, I did break my glasses this morning by accident. Maybe it's that," I quickly went back to writing in my notebook.

"I actually think you're beautiful everyday." Niall leaned closer to me, causing me discomfort.

"Uh-Niall," I stammered.

"Shh," he put his finger to my lips. I never noticed how blue his eyes were until then. They were gorgeous!

I kept leaning backward while sitting on the floor as Niall on all fours leaned closer and closer. Finally, my head brushed the wall and I had no more room to get away. Niall quickly brushed his lips on mine.

"I really do like you, Maya," he stated. A few moments of silence later and he stood up and pointed at me. He laughed, "You fell for it! The little idiot fell for it!"

My cheeks got hot with rage. I stood quickly and pushed Niall down onto my blue carpet. He looked up at me angrily.

Oh shit.

He whipped himself up, knocking over the plant in the process.

Niall spat, "And what the hell gives ya the right to do that to me?" He began breathing heavily and clenched his jaw. I was genuinely scared. I'd never seen him this mad before.

I simlply walked over to my door and opened it. "I don't care about our grade, just leave." He stood still. "I said leave my damn house!" I screamed at him. With that, he took his red bookbag and went out the door. As soon as I heard the door slam, I kicked the objects on the floor and flopped onto my bed. I put my hands over my face. I was more angry with myself than him. My anger turned to tears; I quickly wiped them away with my pink shirt sleeve. I sat up and ran my fingers through my hair.

"Thanks for helping me out, Mom!" I shouted sarcastically.

It didn't matter anyways. I heard he was leaving to try out for The X Factor or something. Never again would I deal with Niall Horan.

I decided to take a shower before bed. Afterwards, I really looked in the mirror for the first time in months. I could see why Niall was joking. I hated everything about myself. I'n a fit of rage, I cut my hair short. I knew my mom was planning on dying her hair a gingerish color, and found the box of dye. After today I wouldn't be Maya Cathriene Taylor. No, I would be Maya Cathriene, and I was going to be known. I would sing my heart out every night and people were going to remember me.