Chapter 1 - Station

Seven Devils

~ Chapter 1 ~

I swear I’m not a bad kid. A little on the devious side? No, not really. Opinionated? Completely. I don’t like being ordered around. I crossed my arms as I was hauled away in the back of a police car for the… god knows how many times I’ve been in the back of a police car. Same police man too. Officer Charles Birch. Good man, he was always gentle when it came to me. Level. Everyone else kept treating me like a kid when I wasn’t. Annoying.

“So what’s the consequences this time?” I asked as he drove through the rain.

“Not really sure, kiddo.” He knows. I huffed and pressed my back into the seat. I crossed my arms and looked out of the window.

“What are the chances I’ll end up in jail?” I asked.

“Jail?” Charles laughed. “Kid, you’re not going to jail, juvie, or any kind of correction facility that treats you with respect.”

I laughed at his idea of respect. “Yeah, sure.”

“No, seriously.” He said with a serious face. Sure, Charles.

He pulled up in front of the station and got out, then helped me out considering my cuffs. He guided me inside and set me down in front of his desk. Why was he still at work? The station was quite deserted with the occasional over-workers. I sighed heavily and gazed at his happy family on his desk.

“We’re going to have to contact your parents about your escape,” he started. I rolled my eyes. I wasn’t escaping. “You’ll have to stay here until your parents get you. You know, the usual.” He sighed heavily as he began to file paperwork.

“You should be at home, Charles.” I murmured. He briefly looked up at me.

“I would be at home had I not gotten a call that you tried to run away from home,” his tone was rather bitter. “When will you get it?”

“Get what?”

“That you can’t run away from everything.”

“Who said I was running away from anything? I was going to come back,” I lied. He narrowed his eyes at me.

“I wish that were believable.” He said and turned his attention back to the paperwork. “You’re really gonna get it this time, kid…”

I just rolled my eyes. He said that all the time. Every single time I got jammed he’d say I’d get put in something bad. I did juvie already, I’ve been in and out of correctional facilities until it’s like a second home for me. They know me by first name and not my body count. I sighed heavily as he went through the routine as usual.

“Want me to stick around till your parents come?” Charles asked.

“No, you should get home.” I murmured. He scoffed and took my cuffs off.

“I’m staying till your parents come.”

“They won’t come.” I warned him.

He ignored me and stayed. Hour after hour after hour—no show. Eventually, Charles just led me to the cells in the back and let me sleep there. I was convincing enough that I wouldn’t go anywhere and that I indeed would go home in the morning, so he went home to his family.

I laid on the familiar, uncomfortable metal bed and looked up at the concrete ceiling with florescent lights. I let out a heavy sigh and closed my eyes briefly before I was quickly jolted awake by the sound of someone inside the station.

“Charles?” I asked nervously. I thought I told him to go home. He did go home. So who the fuck is in the station?

Light footsteps. Rather graceful footsteps in fact. Two men entered the holding area and stopped in front of my cell. They were immaculate in their matching black uniforms. Beautiful and dark men at that too. One pulled out a crisp sheet of paper.

“Are you Zelda Stacy?” the man asked.

“Yes?” I said as if I wasn’t sure of my own identity.

“By the decree of the state court you’ve been placed into the hands of the Night,” one of the men said. I stared at him with a blank expression.

“What?” I asked. The cell opened and the men walked in.

“You belong to the Night now.”

While I was trying to process all of that I hadn’t paid attention to the fact that I was being hauled away by these two makeshift agents. But before I could protest or fight back, I was engulfed by darkness, oblivion… Night.