Chapter 36 - 7 Days

~ Chapter 36 ~

"It has nothing to do with denial, Zelda," Tempest said lowly as he met my eyes. I felt his pain, his sorrow... his ache. I shouldn't have brought it up. No, you two need to talk about this. I clenched my jaw and took a deep breath. Tempests' eyes darkened slightly as he spoke. His voice was shaky, as if he were holding back. "I knew... from the second I laid eyes on you that I would never be able to keep us alive. I knew because you are Human, and because I am a Demon. I don't want to accept this, I don't want to discuss this as if I'm okay with it-as if you're okay with it-because you shouldn't be!"

I looked down at the ground before I met his eyes again. "You don't get it."

He stared at me wide eyed, he didn't speak a word, he simply turned on his heel and began to walk away from me.

"You're okay with this," he whispered as he walked towards the portal out of Night, "you're not even trying."

I smiled softly, I only hoped he'd understand. I knew he wouldn't. He does, Zelda, Tempest always understands. He may not agree with what you do, but he understands.

"Let's go home, Zelda," Tempests' voice cracked as he spoke, "I don't want to hear any more."

I caught up with Tempest and slipped my hand in his. I looked up at him, even though he refused to look at me, I smiled. I laid my head against his shoulder and exhaled.

"I know you more than you know yourself, love," I said softly, "you need this."

"I only need you, Zelda," he breathed and stepped in the portal.

Icy Tempest, the one I was so used to. The one who broke me down and built me back up.

He did indeed live up to his name, Tempest was always a violent storm. Whether it was physical, mental, or emotional... he was a tempest.

We had spent a little extra time at Night, Tempest showed me around and explained every little detail to the T. From the way it sounds, Night will be a great place. But, Night isn't my concern right now. I've still got to deal with my family. If Tempest is acting this way, they'll only react even worse.

I squeezed Tempests hand as we arrived back home. He let go of my hand and walked off. I sighed, he was angry still. He's only angry because he can't control what's happening. Of course. He's the biggest control freak I know.

"I love you," I said as he left. No response. I frowned a little and headed to my study only to be welcomed by my Devils.

Their faces fell as they saw me enter.

"Oh, great, what happened now?" Aric asked exasperated.

"I got a little carried away with my 'what if' scenarios," I laughed innocently, "you know how Tempest gets."

Valen narrowed his blue gaze at me. He still sees through you. I know. I know they all can. Alucard stuffed his hands in his pockets, I casted him a smile, he didn't return it.

What's with everyone's mood?

"I spoke to Rex," Alucard murmured, "he wants nothing to do with Devils anymore."

I gave a mirthless laugh, "I thought I told you that," I said, "Rex was pretty livid with me."

"Who cares about Rex? He left, so what?" Sven said bitterly, "I thought we agreed to not beat that dead horse."

"Don't act like that," I begged softly, "you don't understand Rex's predicament. I do. I respect his decision, and I believe he made the right choice, I think you all should leave him be."