Horse Charmer - Chapter Three - Part One

The cooks pulled out all the stops for the first time Karah would host the Vesperans. Pride was on the line.

The main dining hall sparkled. A massive table dominated the room, overflowing with crystal, silver, and fine ceramics. Cassia sat at the head of the table where her father had always resided over state dinners. She'd objected when Sarahann had told her where to sit, but her objections had been sternly overridden. Uncomfortable sitting in her father's place, she couldn't stop shifting in the large chair.

Sarahann sat to her right so she could easily kick her daughter for any mistake. Three of the Karahan advisors lined the table next to her. King Erich sat to Cassia's left and Torr next to him with the other two Vesperan advisors. Erich's personal guard stood in the shadows, against the wall, behind Erich's chair.

Frivolous conversation toned down as Head Cook Sulwin and his assistants began to lay the feast on the table. Wine was quickly poured into glasses. Sarahann kicked Cassia's foot. Time to call the meeting to order.

Cassia tapped her spoon gently against her wine glass. The table silenced and all eyes turned to her. For a second, she blanked on what she was supposed to say and her stomach fluttered in panic before it came back to her.

"Thank you for coming to council with us during this dreadful time," Cassia recited. "We truly appreciate your concern."

"On behalf of my people," Erich said. "I offer you our most heartfelt regret on your recent loss."

"Thank you." Cassia smiled at Erich. Maybe this wouldn't be so hard. "You have information you wish to share with us, King Erich?"

"Vesperan's Captain of the Guard has been hunting down witnesses and suspects in the murder of King Robet," Erich said without preamble. "We are now certain we know who masterminded the murder."

Cassia felt like she'd been punched as the air whooshed out of her. "You know who did it?"

Erich gazed around the table as everyone focused on him and his pronouncement. "His murder was not a simple robbery as it was made to look. No common thief could have gotten past King Robet's bodyguard."

"We haven't had any news from Talent Westleigh," Sarahann pointed out.

"The robber would have had to kill Talent Westleigh to get to King Robet," Erich said slowly. "We didn't find a second body."

"I don't like what you're alluding to," Eb said from his seat next to Sarahann's.

Erich ignored him as he continued. "When King Robet was discovered there was no sign of his bodyguard. No contact since then. No sightings reported."

"What do you think happened to him?" A wave of guilt washed over Cassia. She hadn't thought about Talent Westleigh's well being. He'd always been kind to her, but she'd only been focusing on his failure to protect her father. What if something terrible had happened to him as well?

"I believe he was a part of the assassination," Erich said.

Cassia shook her head in denial. Westleigh had been devoted to his king.

"That's absurd!" Eb voiced Cassia's own thoughts. "Talent Westleigh was completely loyal to His Highness and would not have betrayed him."

"On the order of his commander?" Erich asked.

Cassia blinked in confusion. Why would her father order his own death? That had to be the stupidest thing she'd ever heard.

"Julyan?" Eb questioned.

Cassia glanced at Eb in surprise, she'd forgotten about Julyan. Technically, Westleigh worked for Julyan, the leader of the Talent Guild, and had been assigned to Karah as King Robet's bodyguard several years ago.